Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
21. Started at 19. I wish I got going earlier than I did! Starting at 16 would have been nicer but that's how it goes. This yr feels like it'll be my first true yr, year one I was slow to get marketing out (not until may) and last yr I made the mistake of trying with a partner and now former friend, that flopped after a month and a half but thankfully I have a decent amt of clients and my business grew 500% from yr 1 and will be shooting for another 400% roughly to put it into the 6 figure range this year. Ill be getting my EDDM postcards out once the snow is gone.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is some healthy growth. When i started when i was 11, i mowed with a friend for 3 years, when he got his license he was sick of mowing and wanted to get a real job but wanted me , a 14 year old to buy him out for 10k. Yea right did i have that much money. So we arent friends anymore and i has to start over. I have about 15 lawns when i was 15, the following year, and when i turned 16, i advertised liked crazy and grew to 60 accounts, and then held that steady while getting more landscape jobs and now we are at 115 ish, and looking to add another 40 lawns this year for a full lawn route. And a full landscape route hopefully.

Insured and Licensed
Old 02-07-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So we've both experienced crappy business partners. What did you do for advertising that year you grew to 60?
I'm shooting for a min of 20 more full service maint @ $220+/month and then fill the remainder of most weeks with installs so I can hit my 6 figure goal. You have a picture thread on here right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
So we've both experienced crappy business partners. What did you do for advertising that year you grew to 60?
I'm shooting for a min of 20 more full service maint @ $220+/month and then fill the remainder of most weeks with installs so I can hit my 6 figure goal. You have a picture thread on here right?
Posted via Mobile Device
I have about 10 full service customers total that pay monthly. Wish I had more . I knocked door to door, got my truck lettered, made a brand for myself. Got custom envelopes, polo t shirts, letter head, trailer sign, and 5000 post cards handed out all by me.

I think so, it's been awhile since I put up pictures, I want to re-vamp my website this season with a much more professional and functional approach with a crazy amount of Seo linked with every singe page.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Who's used both...?

Your results...?

Your input...?
Posted via Mobile Device
If you don't already, I would recommend you test and track the results of every print piece you do. Seemingly minor changes to content, graphics and layout can play a big impact on your response rate.

It is easy enough to setup two different phone numbers and create two different flyers - each using a unique phone number.

Track the response you get to each one.

Whichever one gets the higher response rate use that in your next campaign and create another new version that attempts to beat the response rate of this last winner.

Andrew P
Lawn Care Marketing Expert
Old 02-07-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
I have about 10 full service customers total that pay monthly. Wish I had more . I knocked door to door, got my truck lettered, made a brand for myself. Got custom envelopes, polo t shirts, letter head, trailer sign, and 5000 post cards handed out all by me.

I think so, it's been awhile since I put up pictures, I want to re-vamp my website this season with a much more professional and functional approach with a crazy amount of Seo linked with every singe page.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't want to have a single client that's not full service or a fert/weed control plan at a minimum.

I beat you to it, I revamped my website over Christmas break from school with a new hosting company and completely did it myself. It looks extremely professional. Ive had my logo since day 1 and I love it. Ill be getting custom polos in the next couple weeks. Ill be getting graphics truck and plow In march/april and then buying an enclosed trailer and will have that graphic'd as well. I need to work on my site's SEO though. I don't really know how that all works other than keywords. My company is on Google places though. When I started I got 2500 doorhangers from Adeas but they have a spot on it for a mowing price and they were the band-it and were very time consuming. I didnt do more than 700 or so. I landed a couple good clients from them. S o my EDDM going out will be a big jump.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by JContracting; 02-07-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Care Marketing Xpert View Post
If you don't already, I would recommend you test and track the results of every print piece you do. Seemingly minor changes to content, graphics and layout can play a big impact on your response rate.

It is easy enough to setup two different phone numbers and create two different flyers - each using a unique phone number.

Track the response you get to each one.

Whichever one gets the higher response rate use that in your next campaign and create another new version that attempts to beat the response rate of this last winner.

Andrew P
Lawn Care Marketing Expert
Thats a great point, but most of us landscapers are on a strict budget, setting up a new phone number, printing out a whole slew of new post cards with two different numbers on it, designing the two different cards, is time consuming, expensive and most of the time not worth the effort for just a "Lets see which one does better"...... Also, are you handing out these fliers every other house so you keep the same class of home, or are you going to hand one flier out to one neighborhood, and another flier to another neighborhood. These neighborhoods could be completely different sizes, home values, and many other differentials.

ALSO, when you land a customer, which number are they going to use to call you. Now you are going to have two phone to answer, two lines to pay for, and TOO MANY HEADACHES.

How about you market one flier, and just make a really good flier to start with.... Or print two different post cards out with OFFER #1 on one card, and OFFER #2 on the other. Then you are able to tell which offer the person wants, and not have to go into more uneccesary bills.

Insured and Licensed
Old 02-21-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

DLong great looking postcards. I have also been using bob for advertisement needs. Have you ever used EDDM before? If so how was the return rate for you? Trying to decide on a handout postcard vs eddm w/postage.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Please keep in mind there is not one form of advertising that works alone. Expect .5% or less call back rate for door hangers or direct mail as your only marketing. To accomplish a 1% or better call back rate your going to need to have a marketing plan in place. And a little luck on timing.
Posted via Mobile Device