Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-12-2014, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snomaha View Post
The issue I see with many of the young people who work for me is their definition of "the basics in life". A living wage doesn't include choosing a lifestyle then asking your employer to fund it. Quit being innocent bystanders in your own life - develop skills that demand higher wages.

I see the same employees complain about not making enough money pull into the parking lot with a nicer/newer car then my wife drives. I see them purchase time shares without understanding the financial impact. I see them purchase the newest phones and TV's. I see them turn down a temp opportunity on the weekend because they want the day off. I see them decline full tuition reimbursement because they don't want to take the time to improve.

All that being said, I'm definitely an advocate of paying above market wages to keep rockstar employees. I just need them to quit comparing their chapter one or two in their career with my chapter 23.

Just my two cents....

right on the money! this is a great post.

I love the term "living wage" it seems to be the newest phrase the Obama administration is throwing around so that every business is forced to pay higher wage and higher taxes which in the end hurts everybody one way or another.

Our type of jobs (crew member) are not high wage jobs people, they are entry level. we have gotten the "average wage" our location pays from the employment department for these type of jobs in our area (we pay in the middle of that range if the person is worth that) it is $10-$13 an hour. We are not going to pay high dollar for a job that the area doesn't support. We are highly saturated with illegals who want to charge $20 for a lawn, this is why (to the guy who posted why are we not charging xxx.00 amount of dollars more) we CAN'T charge more. Every location will only pay so much for something, once they hit that magic mark they will go to someone else cheaper. There is a fine line in trying to find the highest point you can without losing the bid.

In my mind it is simple, this still is America, if you don't like making between that range then go back to school, find a different job or skill that pays higher, go into business for yourself, lots of freedom to choose (at least for now). Forcing businesses to do things that will put them out of business or at the very least harm their ability to hire or grow will not help the economy, why people don't understand this is beyond me.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klogan011 View Post
If minimum wage goes up then so do prices of product. Or we will lose more jobs over seas because companies cant afford to pay a person 4 as much her as to send it over seas. It actually doesn't give you more money. It just inflates everything. Yes you might make 10-15 an hour min. But that dollar menu turns into a 5 dollar menu. Rich people will just get richer because all they will see opportunity to raise prices and be able to blame someone else. Basically the people making minimum wage need to consider finishing high school and or college.
Posted via Mobile Device
yes, absolutely right.