Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-26-2013, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Stihl Backpack Blower

I have been using handheld blowers since I started and they have done a pretty good job. This upcoming fall I will have quite a few leaf removal jobs, one which involves blowing out the ditch on a cemetery road. I don't think my little handheld blowers can handle a big pile of wet leaves going uphill, so I think its time to upgrade to a backpack. I want a older 2-Stroke model, so I will be buying used. I have been looking at this nice BR-420 locally, the man only wants $200 for it. Is that a pretty good price, I am going to offer him $180 and see if he bites. Does anyone have this model or one close to it? Are they pretty powerful? All input is greatly appreciated, Thanks!
Grasshopper 52" 718K
Yazoo-Kees 48"
Stihl Trimmers & Blowers
Old 08-26-2013, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The more power the more time you'll save every day. You've got quite a lineup of equipment...a top-of-the-line BP blower will round you out...a LOT. I'd buy new, but that's just me.

My thoughts: a BP blower will pay for itself once during the normal season...and once again during leaf season when compared to a HH blower. At a 5-6 min/day savings, you'll end up saving ~2 hours/month. Now multiply all this by the years you believe you'll have it.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 08-26-2013, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been wanting to find me an old 420 model. Many say this is the best blower Stihl made. Maintenance is a breeze unlike the 4 strokes.

I was running just an older Redmax handheld blower until recently found a BR600 for $200 from my neighbor. Though I love my Redmax, the backpack makes a huge difference.

Last edited by Holland; 08-26-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I stepped up to a backpack this year, and purchased the BR600. its been worth EVERY Penny. I wasn't sure I wanted to drop that much coin on one, but not I look back and feel I cheated myself by not doing it sooner! I don't know about the 420, but I can definitely recommend the 600. Its been a great unit so far.
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower
Old 08-26-2013, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

husqvarna 570 or 580 for moving big piles of leaves, still 2 stroke as well. the 580 is currently the most powerful backpack blower on the market and puts out close to 1000 cfm and 200mph. it will move lots of leaves in a hurry
Old 08-26-2013, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use a BR380 for my daily clippings. It is the exact same blower as the 420, but it has smaller diameter tubes so it has higher MPH, but lower CFM than the 420. The 420 is a good BP for everyday use, and works pretty well on most leaves. My neighbor has the older 400 and he has no problem moving his leaves in the fall, and believe me, where we are, there are a ton of them. That price for a 420 is good if it is in great condition, but $180 is better.

For heavy work in the spring and especially the fall, the big BP's are in another league. I have a couple now, and have owned several others in the past including the BR600M. I bought a Husky 570 when they first came out, and it is the best BP out IMO. The 580 doesn't really do anything more in the real world moving heavy leaves than the 570. It doesn't scour stuck down debris as well, weighs a lot more, uses more fuel, and costs more. I have used them both on real world fall clean ups, and that's why I chose the 570 over the 580. Money wasn't an issue for me when choosing though. Performance, weight, etc., overall was.

I just came across this video last night while searching for something completely unrelated to BP's. You can watch a guy using one on leaves and decide if it is enough for your cemetery use-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snYNPOZvVJY
Old 08-26-2013, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I have always used large cfm Kawasaki back packs until John Deere and Lesco stop carrying them. Now I use Stihl BR 600 as my primary blower. Except for roof blowing of leaves and pine needles.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

i also daily use sthil br400 and 340 models and highly recommend them. this is the only product sthil got right and the only one from them i recommend. my br 400 is 15 yrs old and never a problem. just replaced straps
Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I see br420's for sale from time to time for~ $200. I believe this is Stihl's biggest 2-stroke blower. Very well regarded. If $200 is all the budget will allow, go for it. You would be well served to buy the biggest you can afford.

I was a long time fan of handheld blowers for small, regular weekly cleanups. Once I actually logged times with a backpack, I had to admit I'd been wrong in all but the very tiniest of jobs (a 20' strip of sidewalk). Honestly, the br420 is ideal for regular weekly stuff. Come fall, the bigger, the better.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I think I am gonna get it. I thought about buying a new one , but where I have bought a FS-250 & a Honda 21" this year, I don't really want to spend another $600 on equipment. Plus I have always wanted
one of those BR-400s since I was a kid, I've always been kind of a equipment fanatic. I'll post some pics and a video when I get it. Thank you all for the advice, you guys have been good to me on here. I appreciate it.