Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-27-2014, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Im north in temple tx. Bcg Got my trailer from the place in front of your shop.. dam good trailers
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2014, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
PPL, what part of the state are you in? I'm in Cypress/Tomball, about as far NW as you can go on 290 and still be in Houston. We've gotten 4.9" at my house in the last 2 days and have an 80% chance of more rain tomorrow. We definitely need it but, not all at once. I'm not sure how my mowing crews are going to finish this week, especially if it rains all day again tomorrow. We may be mowing our Friday route on Monday and starting next week on Tuesday.

A couple of years ago we had a big storm that flooded the bridges between our shop and the service area, the only way around it was a 1.5 hour detour. We just didn't mow the Wed - Fri properties that week because we couldn't get to them and they all had standing water. That was a big mistake, people whined about it the entire following week and the grass was so tall and thick from all the rain that it took 2x as long to get through it. I pay my guys per piece instead of hourly so they weren't especially happy about the longer hours for the same pay, and I can understand that but we couldn't really charge more to mow a lawn that was thicker because we chose to skip it the previous week. This time, I'm going to make sure they all get done one way or another.

15 minutes north of Austin. Same thing nearly here. We're right at 4.2. We got it bad yesterday and more this morning. I took the two days off to get caught up on paper work. I hear you on the behind thing, but I'm not even looking back. I already know I'm going through Sunday this week everyday until dark. I feel sorry for the ones that are push mowing to catch up in the tall grass, but I'm just going to let it dry up and take the walk behind through everything. I didn't know we was going to get that much, and the bad thing is their calling for it all week. If I'm not mistaking there's a storm on the gulf or was last time I looked. Most of our soils around here aren't handling all this water very well right now at once. My lawn's composted several times a year and aerated, if I have water standing in mine, it's too wet to mow. The neighbors yard looks like a lake right now.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, we definitely need the rain, just not all at once like this. Of course, the heavy, fast rain should do a world of good for the Highland lakes and Lake Travis due to all the runoff. Maybe the water level will get back up to the boat ramps.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
Yeah, we definitely need the rain, just not all at once like this. Of course, the heavy, fast rain should do a world of good for the Highland lakes and Lake Travis due to all the runoff. Maybe the water level will get back up to the boat ramps.

It should have done the lakes some good. And of coarse I heard on the News talk other day we needed 6" before June to even effect our standings on the drought this year. We have irrigation restriction signs posted all through the neighborhoods so everyone around here is taking that as a "Don't water their lawn" excuse. Well we got 4.2" this time, and 3.5" the last go around, and I doubt when it dries up that they will still take the irrigation signs down.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Green Doc, one more quick question. I'm beginning to believe the area in the center surrounding the oak that I told you needed to be leveled, the soil has became so depleted I don't think I'm going to ever be able to get it level this year. It's setting much beyond the rest of the lawn. Instead of sanding over and over applications, do you think it would make sense to just clear the vegetation on top, add my topsoil, and re lay a pallet over that area?