Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a couple lawn mowing questions. Side discharge OCDC?

In 15 and have a neighborhood lawn mowing business. I currently use a Toro proline 32. I used bought a mulching kit at the beginning of the season but ended up taking it off because I was not able to mow at the speed I wanted without leaving stragglers (so I basically wasted $230). I switched to side discharge but now I'm ending up with grass clippings in mulch beds. I'm on a budget so I'm not about to dish out another $200 bucks for an OCDC so if I needed one to stop this problem I would look into making one. But Is it ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to have an ocdc in order to not get mulch in beds on side discharge or is there another way? Also what blades are the best for side discharge I currently have high lift blades on and they tend to spray long blades of cut grass. I want a nice clean appearance on my lawns not long strands of cut grass littered all over the lawn. Once again I'm on a budget my fleet consists of a 2000 year toro proline and a new Stihl Kombi. I'm saving up for a Stihl BR600. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

An OCDC may leave a windrow depending upon how it covers your chute opening...but a blower will fix that in a jiffy when your done mowing. Once Spring growth has subsided, you 'may' find you can put that mulch kit back on...but rain/dew can still hinder your mulching productivity.

Have you tried Oregon G5 blades? They will further shred the discharge while leaving a nice cut side-discharging. The G5s are a slightly thinner version of Oregon's G6 blade. These blades create a lot of lift and are not intended to mulch with, fwiw. I run 32s exclusively and side-discharge...and am quite impressed with G5s now that lush Spring growth has subsided some.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 05-21-2013, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
An OCDC may leave a windrow depending upon how it covers your chute opening...but a blower will fix that in a jiffy when your done mowing. Once Spring growth has subsided, you 'may' find you can put that mulch kit back on...but rain/dew can still hinder your mulching productivity.

Have you tried Oregon G5 blades? They will further shred the discharge while leaving a nice cut side-discharging. The G5s are a slightly thinner version of Oregon's G6 blade. These blades create a lot of lift and are not intended to mulch with, fwiw. I run 32s exclusively and side-discharge...and am quite impressed with G5s now that lush Spring growth has subsided some.
Thanks I think I'm going to keep it in side discharge and look into some g5s. Do you use side discharge year round with g5s? And how do you combat blowing grass into mulch beds? Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2013, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I side discharge and plan most of my lawns so when I'm mowing the discharge is away from the beds. It'll take a bit more time but it saves me from the mess
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

yeah always point the discharge away from beds for at least 2-3 passes. sometimes it's not possible if there are many close beds in a yard.

it's not really a big deal to get a few clippings in beds to be honest. after a few hrs the clippings turn brown and mix right in with the mulch and you can't really tell they are there.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Are the g5s or G6s better for side discharging?
Posted via Mobile Device