Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned but if fuel gets in the engine you need to change the oil and filter right away, and I would do that before you even test run it... Oh, and it's probably that FUSE but change the oil and filter I'm telling you because there's gasoline in it.
Okay...I will. I didn't because I already changed the oil and the filter but that was before I tore the engine apart and put it back together...

As far as the fuse...hmmm...didn't think about that because...well...before I tore the engine apart it worked fine...but I'll check it
Old 04-04-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
I know its an old topic here but for what its worth you won't get exactly the right torque per specs if you re-use the old screws. That said these things aren't that picky to require 100% exact torque specs. Let us know when you check the spark.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well, I did use the old screws...plus I broke one so I drilled it out and rigged it...but ..if it's tight enough for it not to leak it should work right?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Use a real spark checker from the parts store. Cheap. Better than grounding the plug and observing. If in doubt change the plugs. Rare for both coils to go at same time. If no spark start checking safetys. Make sure the bridge wire isnt broke and connections are good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Okay..I don't really know what the bridge wire is...there were three wires I disconnected...two of them are plug ins...no question where they go..then there is a third...there is a little plate that I had to take off and I'm guessing that that red wire went with one of those screws...hmmmm...
Old 04-12-2014, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Member

The spark plug is fine...tested it. Gas is going into the carburetor...I still am not even getting a sputter of combustion. Meanwhile, my yard is being taken over. I did not change the oil because I did drain all the gas out of both tanks before I started with all of this. I can only think then that for some reason, too much gas is going into the carburetor. Any other ideas? Should I take the carburetor back off...again...and...do what with it...rebuild it again...btw...is it possible to put the floats in the carb upside down? Would that affect starting?
Old 04-12-2014, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Engine needs 3 things. Fuel,air,ignition in some semblance of correct timing. When you say plugs are fine,do you mean hooked to coils and firing while cranking the engine? If yes, have you tried a shot of carb cleaner or starting fluid while cranking? If yes then I would check for a sheared flywheel key or a missing magnet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2014, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Hmmm...interesting. When I took the engine apart...I took for bolts off the back of the engine that hold part of the engine together. Here is a pic...I had a hard time getting it back together. Is it possible that I lined up the magnets wrong when I did this?

In the picture it is the 4 bolts that hold that screen on...but they hold more together than that obviously.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Magnets are usually epoxied to the flywheel. If they come off you know it. If the blower is off a visual inspection will tell you. The flywheel key needs the bolt removed and the flywheel pulled. Two small prybars can be used to gently pop it off. Sometimes you have to partially screw the bolt back in and give it a rap with a hammer to dislodge it.

Where's all the Kohler gurus at? I haven't laid a wrench on one of these myself, but everything I've suggested is universal among engine works.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 04-13-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I really appreciate you taking the time to help. It's been cold and rainy and I've been real busy so haven't gotten back to the mower yet...I'll let you know when I do..probably Saturday