Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-28-2006, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy
I have changed blades in the middle of the day, but I swing by the shop to do it. I only do this when I know I have a rough lawn or 2 to do in the morning, but then have nicer lawns to cut later.
LOL cut the nice ones first
Old 05-28-2006, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCUT1
Wow there are def some real die hard lawn guys on here. If we changed blades every 3 lawns we would go through 10 sets a day per machine times 3 machines per crew. One crew would need to carry 90 blades on the truck.

You guys crack me up.
I'm with you, I got 30 blades and being solo, unless you feel like sitting downstairs with the grinder more than once / week, it gets to where I've bought several sets of new blades just to put off the sharpening scene some more because even once / week I get REALLY tired of it sometimes. For 30 blades, you sharpen however many you want but it takes at least 30 seconds each, 1-2 minutes a piece is more like it.

Once / day yo.
And truth be known, I've cut 20-odd yards before when I was NOT in the mood to change them and I could not really see the difference.
Because you DO know the razor's edge wears off in about 20 minutes, so you really need to change them almost every yard, and 2-3 times / yard for the really large lots.

As for damage, I don't see a nick causing that much pain in my book. I have two blades with nicks almost the size of a pinky fingernail, but even when I sharpen them I just let that work itself out over time because I am not taking off that much steel (remember the other side has to balance so steel gets taken off BOTH sides, forget that). We're talking taking off over 1/4 inch of steel off both sides, now it might take 10 or 20 or more sharpenings but the nicks will come out, in due time.
Meanwhile, I run nicked blades on the center spindle as the side blades appear to catch it the most, to me the center spindle is the safest (not that it is truly safe, but).

Last edited by topsites; 05-28-2006 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
LOL cut the nice ones first
So then I have to change blades twice. When I cut the crappy ones first I don't have to change the blades from the day before. I only do this on occasion, not everyday or even every week. But there are circumstances that warrant changing blades in the filed.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I try to keep a 100% professional cut so I change blades after each front yard, and then each back yard. It just helps keep quality up, and since I'm like topsites and I only cut accounts once every 3 weeks when they really need it (that 7 day schedule is for losers), it's pretty easy.

YEA RIGHT! I sharpen blades when they need it, these damn exmark blades are needing it every 8 hours sadly! The gators I have on my w/b go for at least 20-25 hours and even then cut really good.