Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2012, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just say.....my business has grown and I need to place everyone on a routine schedule.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

last year watering restrictions were so tight, and we received no rain in the summer. The bermuda grasses slow way down and dont grow. So during the summer, without rain or any irrigation, the grass doesnt grow.

There are lawns that I probably only cut 3 times from late june thru late august. And those were lawns that i fertilzied in the spring too!

I dont think customers will be ok with paying for weekly service when there isnt any growth from week to week. Now thanksfully, ive picked up a lawn that is on a well, and she can water whenever she wants....and does! She was my only weekly customer, and I can see how yall make a lot of money on weekly customers. It IS easier to keep up, the grass looks fantastic, and money comes rolling in regularly.

I just dont think i can convert my other customers to that. I think what im going to do is get the customers "acclimated" to weekly mowings in the spring, and see how it goes. Ill offer a discount for fertilizer apps in late may (thats typically our second or third application), and if the weather cooperates, grass may stay green into july..hopefully
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator
Old 12-06-2012, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

well if you want them all weekly then you may just have to take a stance and go for it. just explain things to them from your point of view. you may lose some but always be putting yourself out there to get new ones and when you do, start them off as weekly cuts. during a drought or winter use discretion and people will see that you are fair with them. in a few months or years when you are cutting all of your yards on a weekly basis, will it matter that the old ladies and tightwads that you have now are not your customer anymore ?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I got rid of 10 day mows and on calls quick.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would just do a few at a time, that way you only risk losing a few. I made the switch with plowing customers, and lost about 20%. But it worked out for the best. I found that it worked better if I did it in writing at renewal time...it gave them time to think and time to compare me to the competition. Most couldn't find a better deal, so they stuck around.

It just depends on how much you need the customer vs. how much they need you. Supply and demand!

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 12-08-2012, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can understand wanting all customers to be on a schedule to simplify things, but I think there's a lot of money left on the table by turning down one time or by the call jobs. Kind of like the the hair stylist who turns away walk ins.

I get a bit frustrated when my week is all set up and some one calls for a one time cut and I'm tired and don't feel like doing it. But I get over it after I get paid..