Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2014, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
I simply use locking racks when out in route mowing and have never had an issue. Now for the house I have a sophisticated layer of protection. It may not be fool proof, but it's dummy proof.

On the garage door (inside kitchen garage door) I have two double sided key dead-bolts. You have to have a key for both dead-bolts to open the door from either side. One lock at the upper area one in the lower area. The garage door? I don't trust locking garage doors. I simply installed to slide locks that slide from the inside, the only way that garage door is coming open is if it's unlocked from the inside or ran through with a car. Security cameras with wireless phone access watch over my drive-way and back gate along with driveway sensors that beep if someone walks into the drive-way. On top of all this, my truck and trailer get backed up all the way to the garage door within inches of the garage door so the mowers won't fit out of there without stealing the truck. Wives car gets parked in front of mine backed up. So to get in the garage, you have to go past the sensors, past the cameras, (steal) or move the car, then (steal) or move the truck and trailer. Then you have to defeat the garage door bolted from the inside. After it's all said and done you have to get past the German Shepards that await and are not friendly of strangers coming in momma and daddy's home.
You have a great setup and I commend you for that. And I know the goal of forums is to help others and learn. But there is one thing I would like to point out.

If thru the sum of all your posts it is possible to identify you and locate with precision the location of your house, then you have just given thieves a great gift by listing ALL the security measures you have. And therefore, if someone wants to steal from you, he/she would know exactly what systems need to be defeated and in what order.

One aspect of a great security system is the need to keep it 'secret' as much as possible. Or at the very least, never reveal ALL your layers of security. Why help the thieves?

I know it was not your intention. Nevertheless, you should always keep in mind that all kinds of people will read your posts...
Old 07-11-2014, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre2013 View Post
You have a great setup and I commend you for that. And I know the goal of forums is to help others and learn. But there is one thing I would like to point out.

If thru the sum of all your posts it is possible to identify you and locate with precision the location of your house, then you have just given thieves a great gift by listing ALL the security measures you have. And therefore, if someone wants to steal from you, he/she would know exactly what systems need to be defeated and in what order.

One aspect of a great security system is the need to keep it 'secret' as much as possible. Or at the very least, never reveal ALL your layers of security. Why help the thieves?

I know it was not your intention. Nevertheless, you should always keep in mind that all kinds of people will read your posts...

I know where your coming from buddy, but trust me I didn't give away my main protection. If they can defeat my locks, alarms, and cameras, they're good, but if they want to come out here in the country and defeat them it's my welcoming, be my guest. I'll tell you one thing, I'm insured and I'm armed and I'm a country boy who isn't scared to use a my "tools."
Old 07-11-2014, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
If a grinder can cut through metal, do you think it really won't slice a rope?

Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

That was sarcasm. On a side note, they do make square link chains where the bolt cutters are a pain in the rear and usually cannot get between the square link. A grinder would be possible, but if you have the right grade of chain it could take a while or at least several minutes. If they have the nuts to run a grinder for several minutes in public or private their pretty brave. I know if I heard a grinder outside in the middle of the night I would be out in some whitey-tidies with a 44 mag in one hand and if I see'em duck on the other side of the truck or trailer I'm shooting through.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
That was sarcasm. On a side note, they do make square link chains where the bolt cutters are a pain in the rear and usually cannot get between the square link. A grinder would be possible, but if you have the right grade of chain it could take a while or at least several minutes. If they have the nuts to run a grinder for several minutes in public or private their pretty brave. I know if I heard a grinder outside in the middle of the night I would be out in some whitey-tidies with a 44 mag in one hand and if I see'em duck on the other side of the truck or trailer I'm shooting through.
You never know on this site... Especially lately lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2014, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
2 are more effective, I agree...when denied, they damage your gear out of spite. I just don't want anyone walking away easily with my stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
You could always consider installing a dash cam in the cabin of your vehicle and have it pointed towards your gears. This wouldn't be to prevent theft, nor as a deterrent, but to be able to see what happened. Possibly the local cops could play the video on local tv and someone might be caught. Nevertheless, to me, it is priceless to be able to see what happened.

Obviously, you should concealed the cam, otherwise they will break your window and steal it.

I have two dashcams in one of my vehicles. One installed on the front windshield and another one on the rear window. Let me tell you, other drivers are A LOT more 'polite' since I installed the dashcams. No more following me 6 inches from my bumper. When people realize they are being recorded on video, it changes everything. Absolutely priceless in case of an accident.

If a pic is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a million words. On top of that, the one I'm using has two lenses. One regular lens, like all dash cams and a second lens for zoom. I can see the licence plate and identify the person behind the wheel very clearly thanks to the zoom lens.

This is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Dash-...ght+dash+cam+2

And if you want to have an idea of what you get with such cam (I find my rear cam provides me better video than this youtube - the position of the sun in relation to your car has an impact on the video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEBFQqBC8gA
Old 07-12-2014, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
You could always consider installing a dash cam in the cabin of your vehicle and have it pointed towards your gears. This wouldn't be to prevent theft, nor as a deterrent, but to be able to see what happened. Possibly the local cops could play the video on local tv and someone might be caught. Nevertheless, to me, it is priceless to be able to see what happened.

Obviously, you should concealed the cam, otherwise they will break your window and steal it.

I have two dashcams in one of my vehicles. One installed on the front windshield and another one on the rear window. Let me tell you, other drivers are A LOT more 'polite' since I installed the dashcams. No more following me 6 inches from my bumper. When people realize they are being recorded on video, it changes everything. Absolutely priceless in case of an accident.

If a pic is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a million words. On top of that, the one I'm using has two lenses. One regular lens, like all dash cams and a second lens for zoom. I can see the licence plate and identify the person behind the wheel very clearly thanks to the zoom lens.

This is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Dash-...ght+dash+cam+2

And if you want to have an idea of what you get with such cam (I find my rear cam provides me better video than this youtube - the position of the sun in relation to your car has an impact on the video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEBFQqBC8gA
So how do these work? Do they run continuously? Not a techie but am thinking of getting something like this.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
So how do these work? Do they run continuously? Not a techie but am thinking of getting something like this.
I don’t want to sound pretentious, but if you get one, you should get the model I got. Why? Because all the other dashcams only have one lens, while mine has two lens. The others are a toy, while mine means business.

What I mean is the other dashcams will allow you to see what happened and most likely, you will not be able to positively identify the suspects/ licence plate. But with the model I’m suggesting you to buy, the zoom lens (the second lens) will, in most cases, allow you to clearly see the face/licence plate. And this makes all the difference in real life, as well as in a court of law.

What’s the point of seeing the video of what happened if you can’t identify who did it and can’t use it in a court of law because it isn’t clear/sharp enough???

Do your research and watch videos on youtube of other dashcams.

Dashcams characteristics vary per model/brand, so I can only describe mine. With a 32GB memory card (~ $30), you will be able to keep about 8 hours of video on the card. Video is recorded in consecutive segments lasting 2 minutes each. So when you exceed the capacity of the memory card, the first 2 minutes of video recorded 8 hours ago will be the first video over-written. And so on and so forth.

You plug it in the lighter and starting the engine will automatically start the dashcam. When you turn off the engine, the dashcam will stop recording about 30 seconds later. You can run the dascham using its internal battery. I think mine can record 2 hours on its own battery (you should double-check the time, but iirc, it is 2 hours).

In the case of the OP of this thread, he was away for about 15 minutes, so this dashcam on battery power would have worked quite well at recording what happened.

If you wish to use dashcam for longer than the capacity of its internal battery and while the vehicle is off, then you should get a big deep-discharge battery and an inverter http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher...erter/15140200 it should last you the whole day.

The dashcam should be concealed as much as possible, otherwise someone will break your window and steal it when your vehicle is unattended.

In my case, the two dashcams are plainly visible (no tinted windows). The vehicle is never left unattended or park where it is at risk of being broken into. I use other vehicles I have when I know I’ll be leaving the car park on the street.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I donít want to sound pretentious, but if you get one, you should get the model I got. Why? Because all the other dashcams only have one lens, while mine has two lens. The others are a toy, while mine means business.

What I mean is the other dashcams will allow you to see what happened and most likely, you will not be able to positively identify the suspects/ licence plate. But with the model Iím suggesting you to buy, the zoom lens (the second lens) will, in most cases, allow you to clearly see the face/licence plate. And this makes all the difference in real life, as well as in a court of law.

Whatís the point of seeing the video of what happened if you canít identify who did it and canít use it in a court of law because it isnít clear/sharp enough???

Do your research and watch videos on youtube of other dashcams.

Dashcams characteristics vary per model/brand, so I can only describe mine. With a 32GB memory card (~ $30), you will be able to keep about 8 hours of video on the card. Video is recorded in consecutive segments lasting 2 minutes each. So when you exceed the capacity of the memory card, the first 2 minutes of video recorded 8 hours ago will be the first video over-written. And so on and so forth.

You plug it in the lighter and starting the engine will automatically start the dashcam. When you turn off the engine, the dashcam will stop recording about 30 seconds later. You can run the dascham using its internal battery. I think mine can record 2 hours on its own battery (you should double-check the time, but iirc, it is 2 hours).

In the case of the OP of this thread, he was away for about 15 minutes, so this dashcam on battery power would have worked quite well at recording what happened.

If you wish to use dashcam for longer than the capacity of its internal battery and while the vehicle is off, then you should get a big deep-discharge battery and an inverter http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher...erter/15140200 it should last you the whole day.

The dashcam should be concealed as much as possible, otherwise someone will break your window and steal it when your vehicle is unattended.

In my case, the two dashcams are plainly visible (no tinted windows). The vehicle is never left unattended or park where it is at risk of being broken into. I use other vehicles I have when I know Iíll be leaving the car park on the street.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Thanks. Will do.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A small correction to what I wrote above; you do not need an inverter in the scenario I described above. With the proper wire (Radio Shack?) you would connect the dashcam directly to the deep-discharge battery.