Register free!

Old 09-23-2014, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been curious about that product. I think i'll try it out in my own bakyard first. I was at home depot last week and they sell a similar product, dont know if its Gatorbase brand. If they could bring the price down to about $1.50 sqft then it would seem worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2014, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Jim, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. It is always going to be the choice of paying your laborers or saving time.

In Steve's (Custom Patios) case, it is basically just him doing the job, so for him, the ease of installation and time savings is more important.

I am looking forward to hearing from him in the future on how the project is holding up...don't think I could offer the five year guarantee, but time will tell.

Steve...could you offer how much time savings using the gator base saved you? Any complications in the project?
Old 09-23-2014, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Jim, I agree that it wouldnt make much sense to use on a larger project. yet. However, there can be a significant cost savings on particular projects.
I bid a project at a town home community which had concrete sidewalks. I bid the jobs using traditional installation methods.
I removed about 4" of concrete and realized there was no clean stone installed under the concrete. I found the soil to be densely compacted and full of rocks. Very tight space and no room for even a dingo to help with excavation, as I bid this assuming we would be hand digging. Well screw that. After messing with it for about an hour I realized I was going nowhere and decided to price out the gator base. I knew I could not get this dug in a day like I had figured. I was looking at an additional day at least. And then it would be even deeper because of all the rocks that had to be removed.

Heres the numbers that I ended up with. Of course this was a unique circumstance.
There were two small walks and a patio. Square footage was only about 260 of pavers. Excavation was about 300 sq ft or so. I figured me and a guy can hand dig that out in less that a day and get most of the base in. I was assuming there would be about 3" of 2b clean under the crete. I figured there would be about 3-4" of soil to remove to give me about a 6-7" stone base to install. no problem.
Ended up being 6-7" of solid rock and soil that had to be removed.
I get my base right from the quarry and pay about 9 bucks a ton. I needed about 13 tons for the job. So about 125 bucks or so in stone. I paid $600 for the gator base. The savings I had was in my labor. I prepped the areas, screeded sand,compacted, laid the gator base and laid most of the pavers the same day. It saved me two days of labor or $2000. I made an additional $1525 on that job.
The gator base has potential with the right conditions, just like Cell-Tek does; another great product I dont think anyone gives the proper opportunity.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like a great product for small to medium jobs that could take a 2 day job and turn it into a one day job fairly easily. Will have to talk to my local supplier and see what their price is.
Posted via Mobile Device