Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2013, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabrito88 View Post
Thanks you for the advice guys. I'm surprised to hear pre season flyers don't work. And that yellowpages do work. I don't think anyone here even uses a yellowbook anymore. How long did it take you all to aquire your accounts?
Herler - That makes more sense. I am a morning person and no stranger to hard work. So 70+ hours per week would be do-able. Thank you.

Orangemower, I don't belive my math is botched and yes. I agree, Research on owning and operating a business is a good idea. Been there, I am not new to business. But even more research never hurts, thats what I'm doing here. Great job on your accounts, I'm not sure if people would pay more than $30 for a lawn care service. There are guys here doing every other week mowing for $15. Thanks for the polite advice.
I'm not sure but I think what Orange mower is trying to tell you about your math being botched is the fact your 22k in reality is only about 17 to 18K a year after you figure your overhead or expenses for running the business.
Blowers:Stihl BR 600 BR 550 BR 380 BR 200Trimmers: Stihl FS 110 Stihl FS 90
Edgers: Stihl FC 90&75 Echo BRD 280 Pole Saw: Stihl HT 75 Hedge Trimmer: Stihl HL 45 HS 45
Old 08-06-2013, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric1 View Post
I'm not sure but I think what Orange mower is trying to tell you about your math being botched is the fact your 22k in reality is only about 17 to 18K a year after you figure your overhead or expenses for running the business.
Ya, I see what you are saying. I know it's not much. Its not really enough for my family and I to live on. Thats why I was asking how you guys do it. And I have gotten a lot of good information. Thanks again.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabrito88 View Post
Ya, I see what you are saying. I know it's not much. Its not really enough for my family and I to live on. Thats why I was asking how you guys do it. And I have gotten a lot of good information. Thanks again.
what part of the country are you in? that would really matter. up here in ct you really could make it solo, except for spring and fall you would need to bring on 1 guy part time for about a month or so, and then during the rest of year you would be mowing or whatever, 4 or 5 days a week and I know of a guy who does it. he's supporting him, his wife and a child pretty comfortably. when he's not working which is only 1 day a week, but he doesn't wanna get big I guess.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Over the years i've been thankful to be really busy started my buisness with 4 lawns and now have 73 lawns with full service and a ton of landscaping jobs. I have 4 full time workers with me now. When I was solo, I got so busy I needed to hire more guys etc to keep up with the work load. But my biggest question to myself now is. Do I want to go back to solo or not. Yeah we make more money but is it worth all the grief having crews etc. Sometimes I feel I can honestly make almost enough profit by myself and a part time guy to make a good enough living to support my family. Been battiling this question for the last 2 years now.
1997 Ford F250
2010 John Deere 315 skidloader
44inch Toro Z-master
44inch Toro walk-behind
36inch Toro walk-behind
48inch Exmark Metro walk-behind
Stilh and husqavarna power equiptment
haulin 16 ft enclosed trailer for mowers
haulin 18 ft enclosed trailer for landscaping
Old 08-07-2013, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Ya. I feel like if I really hit it hard I could go solo and make it work with an occasional helper. I live in Colorado so I only have maybe 25 weeks of mowing in a good year.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
what part of the country are you in? that would really matter. up here in ct you really could make it solo, except for spring and fall you would need to bring on 1 guy part time for about a month or so, and then during the rest of year you would be mowing or whatever, 4 or 5 days a week and I know of a guy who does it. he's supporting him, his wife and a child pretty comfortably. when he's not working which is only 1 day a week, but he doesn't wanna get big I guess.
Where one works has a big influence on pay. A lawn here that I charge $35.00 to mow would cost $55.00 where I used to live (Ohio), and that same lawn will only gross $20.00 in certain areas of Florida. That's a big price range for the same lawn.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com