Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-18-2014, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

We do all the commercial work to start Monday/Tuesday and then residential the rest of the day. Much easier not working around cars and people by hitting commercial properties early. Routes are built for density/efficiency, though we are in nicer neighborhoods on Thursday/Friday. Each mowing crew is 25 residential per day on avg, some days 30 though. Currently siphoning some lawns on the fringe for the third crew, and filling that route as we expand outward, slowly but surely. Mowing crew #1 and mowing crew #2 are both 3 man crews everyday, mowing crew #3 does the more scattered work, and is only 2 man crew, unless we are behind.

Monday- 3 full mowing crews(start day at commercial properties)
Tuesday- 3 mowing crews(start day at commercial properties)
Wednesday- 2 full mowing crews
Thursday- 2 full mowing crews
Friday- 2 full mowing crews

We also have a landscape crew(crew #4) that does all of the bush trimming, pruning, cleanup, mulch etc that has a full workday everyday Monday-Friday March 15 up til about June then it starts slowing down. This crew is sometimes only me working, or sometimes me and 1-3 guys depending on the jobs we have lined up, and what employees are available.

If we get rained out, the landscape work gets pushed back and the landscaping crew mows until everything is caught up. We never schedule work for Saturdays, its our catch up day, if we are done guys get weekends off. Works pretty well for us.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:21 PM
Sponsor

[QUOTE=Kelly's Landscaping;5038188]Yea I don't get the whole my good customer's get mowed later in the week either. That's wasteful and very inefficient. We work from the west end of our territory to the east it's a methodical sweep there is no wasted drive time going back because so and so hates Monday. If he has a problem he can go else where and we will take on a new client in his place. It's no personal we just run a tight rout and can not justify losing money chasing lawns that should of been done earlier. We run 2 solo crews doing 170-175 accounts between us.

True, it was. It was reminiscent of when I first started out, when I would say "yes" to pretty much anyone to get work. As we grew we built the north route around the high end houses and put them end of the week. Now that we are stabil with things we fit houses based on location instead of being the "yes man" I was. The route does need a little tightening, but was not as spread out as it was.

I am embarrassed to say I use to be in 5 different cities on any one day a few years ago, terribly inefficient.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 05-19-2014, 12:27 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I don't have time either but I make time
I only need 3 mowers sharpen and grease daily Only takes 30 mins
Sundays I'll sharpen/service all 6 But I only haul 3 Monday-Thursday
So some days I don't have to sharpen I just load 3 that's I already had ready Then Wednesday I sharpen all 6 mowers. Thursday same thing I load the other 3 up.
Then my part time worker comes in on Friday at 5 am and sharpen/service all 6 for Friday
Great system! We run our 6 hard all week. We usually buzz two sets and then swap them for the dull set, wish I could that with mowers like you do. I should probably up it to twice a week at least.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 05-19-2014, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

[QUOTE=Locqus;5040047]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Yea I don't get the whole my good customer's get mowed later in the week either. That's wasteful and very inefficient. We work from the west end of our territory to the east it's a methodical sweep there is no wasted drive time going back because so and so hates Monday. If he has a problem he can go else where and we will take on a new client in his place. It's no personal we just run a tight rout and can not justify losing money chasing lawns that should of been done earlier. We run 2 solo crews doing 170-175 accounts between us.

True, it was. It was reminiscent of when I first started out, when I would say "yes" to pretty much anyone to get work. As we grew we built the north route around the high end houses and put them end of the week. Now that we are stabil with things we fit houses based on location instead of being the "yes man" I was. The route does need a little tightening, but was not as spread out as it was.

I am embarrassed to say I use to be in 5 different cities on any one day a few years ago, terribly inefficient.
When you are solo you can afford to do a little extra driving to get or retain a good paying customer.

I am not going to do a EOW on a Thursday. They are getting done on Monday, maybe Tuesday. I do try to group my customers by where they live to be more efficient. Though where they live is not the deciding factor.

Though the guy that wants his lawn to be stopped mowing the last week of September when it should get mowed through October is never going to get the Thursday route spot of the guy that lets me call the shot when to start mowing and stop mowing.

The guy that just wants mowing is not going to get the second half of the week spot of the person that has me mow, do fall and spring clean ups, fert, snow.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locqus View Post
Great system! We run our 6 hard all week. We usually buzz two sets and then swap them for the dull set, wish I could that with mowers like you do. I should probably up it to twice a week at least.
During the spring time I'll run 4-5 mowers on Friday once the school is out I have a part time kid will help then Fridays I'll run all 6 I'll mow my 100 acre lawn and my 25 acre lawn all in the same day.
Way the grass is growing and my landscaping projects I been running 7 days a week Sundays light work
Old 05-19-2014, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Since I'm still in school I do all day on saturday, and then the rest are throughout the week. Once school gets out Friday, they will be scheduled on Thursdays and Fridays, i hate working on weekends. I have 4 lawns on 10 day rotations and 3 of those will get cut tomorrow.