Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Another option to look into if you are going to be mowing that much regularly and want to to look like lawn is a Turf Batwing or a large (7' or wider) bush hog. A Turf Batwing is a tow behind PTO powered mower with 3 60-72" decks on it that will cut 12-15' at a time and would need a tractor with at least 40PTO HP to pull it.
A bush hog is more of a rough cut mower and wont leave a lawn type finish, but they can leave a cut that will look decent from 50' away if you keep the blades sharp.

Aaron Z
Old 05-15-2013, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_speedreed View Post
Was it stolen? haha, jk. I would love to run into a deal like that. I am constantly surfing craigslist and ad bulletins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRUSTYx
+1 ... Holy Crap ... I'd love to find that deal too!

ZTR seems to be out of the question now ... I guess I'll look more in to CUT/SCUT's and brave the slopes. Keep my little JD to do my side gig and my current house. I may still go Ventrac if I can find one at a pretty good price, and just use that as a finisher when I decide just how much of that 11 acres I plan to keep "pristine" ...

Appreciate all your help today guys!
LOL

It sure didn't feel like I was stealing it when I was handing him 12K in cash, but still, I knew it was a good deal.

I got it from a guy who had built himself a nice place out away from the city, but could no longer justify the long drive (very long) in to where he worked. I had looked at it previously when he was asking $16,5 and made an offer of $14 a week or so later. He said he thought he could do that, but had someone else coming to look, and I said that was fine because we were going to look at a few more anyway. Then, after another couple weeks had passed, I saw he had relisted it at a slightly lower price, and since I knew when he had to be out of his house (it had already sold a month+ prior) I made him a final offer of $12 which he gladly took so that he didn't have to pay to haul it to a storage faciility which he would also have to pay for.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_speedreed View Post
Do any of the guys recommending just a ZTR actually own a piece of property like that?

I think you should cross that type of machine off the list right now. It's a one trick pony. With property like that you need the capabilities of a tractor with implements. Let's say you get the 30+ hp mower. That's 15-18k right there and all you can do is mow grass which is fine for guys who are cutting that much grass every day.

I recommended the Ventrac because it hadn't been mentioned yet but it's not the only thing. Those Kubota tractors look real nice. Another brand I have heard of making a nice compact tractor is Manhindra. You might check them out too.

I do and thats why I recommended a ZT with 30+ hp. Based on OPs description, he wants to use the mower for other things, tractors and slope mowers have limited applications, and based on what the OP posted, may be limited dealer support. The initial cut should be bush hogged down, and then can be maintained with a zt. I looked at tractors with a rear PTO finish mower, but they would have been too slow, and are harder to transport. I also considered a tractor/mower with the pull behind finish mowers, one on each side of the mower, but decided to stay with a ZT with a 31hp engine and it works great. The pull behind finish mowers , coupled with the zt, may still be in the future.
There are a lot of options, and I think all are viable, it just depends on preference.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRUSTYx View Post
GC ... been looking at the 2360/2660 .... Would you be comfortable doing 11 acres or so with it on the slope you see in the pictures? Certainly affordable ~ can handle different attachments, and while its only a SCUT, it seems like it should be able to hold its own, while staying close to the ground
yes as I've said before... I mow that much of my family's property with the Kubota that it's a mountain top. I'll have to dig for some pics, but I have them.

This is the only big different that you will notice after about an hour... A higher end commercial ZTR will have a much better seat than any SCUT. I can go all day on the Lazer Z and get right up and hop off... After about 2 straight hours on the 2360 the bumps get to you a little.

Also, as said before a property setup deck on a SCUT/CUT will give you just as good of a cut as any ZTR. From the looks of the property it doesn't look like you will be able to go wide open in straight lines, so I think the productivity (speed) factor isn't going to be that much of a difference.

If I had it to do over again I would probably go with the BX26, it has the same engine that in the smaller B series tractor. I think the Kubota and JD both have fantastic machines, but I don't see paying more money for the JD when it has a plastic hood and such and the Kubota features all sheet metal.

Last edited by gcbailey; 05-15-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
I do and thats why I recommended a ZT with 30+ hp. Based on OPs description, he wants to use the mower for other things, tractors and slope mowers have limited applications, and based on what the OP posted, may be limited dealer support. The initial cut should be bush hogged down, and then can be maintained with a zt. I looked at tractors with a rear PTO finish mower, but they would have been too slow, and are harder to transport. I also considered a tractor/mower with the pull behind finish mowers, one on each side of the mower, but decided to stay with a ZT with a 31hp engine and it works great. The pull behind finish mowers , coupled with the zt, may still be in the future.
There are a lot of options, and I think all are viable, it just depends on preference.
ZTR's are far more limited in use than any tractor.

Tractors offer the ability to have their rear wheels reversed to provide a wider footprint/stance for hillsides, can mow at the same speed asa Z in wide open spaces, and are far safer going up, down hills and about as safe across depending on the exact model of tractor you get.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
yes as I've said before... I mow that much of my family's property with the Kubota that it's a mountain top. I'll have to dig for some pics, but I have them.

This is the only big different that you will notice after about an hour... A higher end commercial ZTR will have a much better seat than any SCUT. I can go all day on the Lazer Z and get right up and hop off... After about 2 straight hours on the 2360 the bumps get to you a little.

Also, as said before a property setup deck on a SCUT/CUT will give you just as good of a cut as any ZTR. From the looks of the property it doesn't look like you will be able to go wide open in straight lines, so I think the productivity (speed) factor isn't going to be that much of a difference.

If I had it to do over again I would probably go with the BX26, it has the same engine that in the smaller B series tractor. I think the Kubota and JD both have fantastic machines, but I don't see paying more money for the JD when it has a plastic hood and such and the Kubota features all sheet metal.
I agree with that mainly, but I like the plastic hoods. They don't dent or rust like sheet metal. As for price, it must be a regional thing. I see others post that Deere is so much more money, but not here. They are just about the exact same price these days when you match machine for machine.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I agree with that mainly, but I like the plastic hoods. They don't dent or rust like sheet metal. As for price, it must be a regional thing. I see others post that Deere is so much more money, but not here. They are just about the exact same price these days when you match machine for machine.
When I priced as close to apples to apples as possible with the JD and Kubota (MMM, FEL, 4' Brush Hog) the Kubota dealer was $2,300 cheaper. The JD did have the 7 iron deck, but I don't think that would have made that much difference.

Now on a totally different tangent... When shopping for a side by side, I absolutely LOVE the 825i Gator that we picked up. It's a whole lot more machine that the Kubota.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't priced them this year yet, but last year when we were looking at them again, they were within $500 of each other machine to machine with like options. The biggest difference for us is the fact that the Deere may have been $500 more, but there are a ton of dealers around, and only a couple Kubby dealers. The only one that is really a full service dealer of any size at all is a very long ways away from us.

I have to say, I like several of the Massey's and New holland models too.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRUSTYx View Post
I'm looking for a zero turn (or similar) to do the job Although ~ It may be a pipe dream due to the grade?
What you have there is almost flat compared to some I used to do. ANY commercial ZTR will be able to cut that with ease. If you're going to cut 15 to 20 acres you're going to need a mower that is wide, fast and has a lot of power. Dixie's XCaliber TWIN mower meets all of those specs. It has a 74" deck, 2 27 HP Generac engines and has a top speed of 12 MPH, give or take. With the twin 27 HP engines it has plenty of power to do once a month cuts at top speed.

Your job is the exact kind of job the XCaliber TWIN is designed to do. If you contact the factory they will bring a mower to your location for you to
try out.

http://www.dixiechopper.com/mowers/xcaliber-twin/

Old 05-15-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

also for what it's worth... I don't know about the other guys here on the forum, but we try to make money with anything, any way we can. In about a 30 mile radius in the spring we probably plow, till, and disc around 30 gardens with the Kubota... easily a few thousand that we wouldn't have brought in otherwise. It's a void that no one around here was filling and we've taken advantage of it. We also have a few properties that get a once a month brush hog good for $150+...

There's another LCO around here that keeps a SCUT "stationed" at a sub-division in the winter and makes a killing plowing residential drives with it. He's got a 3point salt spreader and a 6 way blade on the front.

I don't know what your company's intentions are, but if you are open and care about doing other stuff than just mowing, you can make a lot on the side with a SCUT.