Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-05-2013, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

OSHA Hazard Communication Requirements

Can anyone tell me how this directly effects us? From what I can tell, the labels and MSDS will be changing so I will have to waste a bunch of paper re-printing this information and then provide the necessary training to highlight these changes.

Got an email from one of the organizations we belong to offering a webinar (at cost of course) to help us maintain compliance. Just not sure this is necessary and have not seen any mention of this elsewhere.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is what I have found. I hope this helps. My former employer is being setup as a trainer so I will be training with him.

http://www.osha.gov/dsg/hazcom/
Old 11-11-2013, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I found this info as well which led me to believe that the only changes as far as we are concerned would be updating labels & msds and providing the appropriate training so that employers & employees would understand how to read or interpret these changes.

If there is anything else that I'm missing I am still awaiting clarification.

Apparently there is not much concern out there.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Member

My pesticide supplier held the training for this yesterday so I will briefly go over highlights.

1. Globally, all MSDS and labeling will have the same format, so information can be found quickly. called "Globally Harmonized System of classification and labeling of chemicals"
2. In the US, OSHA will be the regulating agency.
3. MSDS will now be called SDS (dropping the word "material").
4. All payrolled employees (including office staff) will be required to take training.
5. Our industry is required to have this training by DECEMBER 1, 2013!
6. Manufacturers have a year or more to change labels and SDS. I forgot what their deadline was.
7. "Caution" signal word is going away. Will only be "Warning" and "Danger" with nine different pictogram symbols (flammable, corrosive, etc).
8. The odds are going up that your business will be inspected by OSHA in the near future!
Old 11-27-2013, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

All payrolled employees? Who told you this? The OSHA site has a link to a training Power Point and it indicates; "training must be done at the time of initial assignment to work with a chemical and when a new chemical hazard is introduced into the work area." This would indicate to me that only the applicators would need to be trained. I am also assuming that the Power Point and additional information I have obtained will be enough for our training purposes. Manufacturer's are not even being held accountable/in compliance until 2015 at the earliest. Explain that logic? We may not even see any new labels or sds documents for over a year....
Old 12-01-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I went to Tractor Supply this week to buy Glysophate. I found that they have already changes the caution label to a warning label. My concern is that anybody that has a limited spray license (roundup license) will be spraying illegal in the state of FL. This license will only allow you to spray products with the caution label.

I will be going to a BMP course this Friday and I will try to find out more info.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Easy View Post
Can anyone tell me how this directly effects us? From what I can tell, the labels and MSDS will be changing so I will have to waste a bunch of paper re-printing this information and then provide the necessary training to highlight these changes.

Got an email from one of the organizations we belong to offering a webinar (at cost of course) to help us maintain compliance. Just not sure this is necessary and have not seen any mention of this elsewhere.
Things are changing Yes you need this and it went into affect Dec. 1 2013 all of this started Jan 1 2013.

Training them early