Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-06-2014, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark Lazer Z Breaking Mule Drive Belts

Hi Everyone,

So I have a 2005 Exmark Lazer Z that is breaking mule drive belts. It seems to happen when I engage the pto at any throttle speed and happens at different time intervals from when the belt is replaced. Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

Thanks,
Calvin
(2) Husky Backpack Blower BT150
Stihl Handhelds
and American Muscle

www.Platinumlandscapemanagement.com
Old 06-06-2014, 02:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinslawnservices View Post
Hi Everyone,
Any suggestions on what could be causing this?
With out more info, I can only guess...There is a double pulley at the back of the deck, that the mule belt goes to, that drives the deck belt. Check it for wobble (bad bearings) and /or a bent pulley....You will have to take the tension off the belts to do this.....

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 06-06-2014, 03:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I replace the whole assembly last year after I found a bend in one of the pullies. Thank you for the suggestion though. Any other thoughts?
Stihl Handhelds
and American Muscle

Old 06-06-2014, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you using OEM belts?

A lot of aftermarket / ag belts use poly cords instead of Aramid. Their life span in a deck drive application is a real crap shoot.

Q
Old 06-06-2014, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinslawnservices View Post
I replace the whole assembly last year after I found a bend in one of the pullies. Thank you for the suggestion though. Any other thoughts?
Have you checked the pulleys/bearings on the deck, I would assume you have checked the 2 in the back already.

Take the tension off the belt and check the spring loaded idler assy. at the back of slop/play.

Just a couple of weeks ago, on a 2012 model, one of the static pulleys in the deck, it had started to pull the bolt up through the deck which caused a misalignment, 2 belts in 2 days....

I have to agree with Q in the OME belts, they will out last the after market belts....

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 06-06-2014, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello Calvin, I had the same problem on our lazer no matter how I engaged the pto I would lose, break or twist the mule belt off the mule bearing up front under the deck. I replaced all the pulleys OME belt and things would be good a day or a week then the same thing would happen. I just gave up cause no one could fix it, different shops after market belts then back to OME and still no luck. In our off season we noticed the deck would move side to side allot we rebuilt the deck with new chains, the pins, and the trailing arms and welded the egg shape hole round again. Knock on wood but its been just over 8 months now and not once has it came off. We cut around 100 lawns a week so it sees allot of use. Maybe just something to look at? Best of luck
Old 06-06-2014, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have been using steins belts I may try a OEM belt. I will check the deck pullies and the deck chains, pins, and everything else. Hopefully once I get this fixed, I can work on the oil leak in one cylinder...
Stihl Handhelds
and American Muscle

Old 06-06-2014, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As Rhi stated, take a good look at the strut pins and where the mount toward the inside of the deck. New pins won't help if the inner hole is worn. Too much side to side will cause all kinds of problems. The aftermarket belt most likely is not the problem unless it's too tight. The mule drive pulleys should be somewhat level with each other. Extending the ball joints out a little will give you more belt adjustment. If you do, use equal amount of turns and you might have to drop the front of the deck down alittle. A 60" deck, you want 'about" 1/4 pitch.