Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-19-2013, 03:31 PM
THIESSENS TLC's Avatar
THIESSENS TLC THIESSENS TLC is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 723
That video scared the crap outta me, gave me chills watching it especially when the kid started screaming that they couldn't hear and was telling their dad to leave. Just made me think of my son and actually shed a few....my prayers go out to the brave rescue workers who lost their lives and to the families who lost a loved one. I don't know the facts, but my guess is there was probly amonia nitrate in that plant.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-19-2013, 03:45 PM
slowleak1 slowleak1 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: harvey LA
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
FWIW, since the media doesn't always get it right:



http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/220203...#ixzz2Qvl5KGzX

Life safety first. That's our job, even if it means one or five of us die.
Screw that. I'm coming home to my wife and kids at the end of my shift. As I said, and will keep saying, when you are responding to a fire at any type of facility like this, you DO NOT go in, period. You obviously lack both training and common sense if you go suicidal and try to save lives that can't be saved.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-19-2013, 03:50 PM
Mark Oomkes Mark Oomkes is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 5,692
Fortunately, our military does not share the same sentiments.

And most LEO's\EMS\Fire.
__________________
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-19-2013, 04:14 PM
slowleak1 slowleak1 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: harvey LA
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Fortunately, our military does not share the same sentiments.

And most LEO's\EMS\Fire.
So let me get this right. You are in a situation where no lives can be saved. Yet you will put yourself in that same exact life threat situation, just because?

I put my life at risk, just like any other person in the first responder field.

What I do not do, is put my life at risk in situations that the outcome will 100% end in fatality. 5 men died, because they didnt know/there chief didnt know the difference. It doesnt matter what NIOSH or OSHA come up with in there report. Those men are dead because someone, somewhere along the line DID NOT train them properly, OR, the inspector, or lack of inspector, did not properly make pre-site/pre-inicdent reports for that facility. It's real simple.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-19-2013, 04:21 PM
KrayzKajun's Avatar
KrayzKajun KrayzKajun is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Harvey,LA
Posts: 9,897
You are beating a dead horse Doug. I know/understand exactly what you are saying.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Mark Oomkes Mark Oomkes is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 5,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak1 View Post
So let me get this right. You are in a situation where no lives can be saved. Yet you will put yourself in that same exact life threat situation, just because?

I put my life at risk, just like any other person in the first responder field.

What I do not do, is put my life at risk in situations that the outcome will 100% end in fatality. 5 men died, because they didnt know/there chief didnt know the difference. It doesnt matter what NIOSH or OSHA come up with in there report. Those men are dead because someone, somewhere along the line DID NOT train them properly, OR, the inspector, or lack of inspector, did not properly make pre-site/pre-inicdent reports for that facility. It's real simple.
Now you're putting words in my mouth. Neither you, nor I was there to determine if anyone was saveable or not.

I will be taking my cue from Mr Putnam on this thread.
__________________
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-19-2013, 11:21 PM
slowleak1 slowleak1 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: harvey LA
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
You are beating a dead horse Doug. I know/understand exactly what you are saying.
Posted via Mobile Device
He does too, he just wants to sound like a tough guy
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:25 PM.

Page generated in 0.05979 seconds with 9 queries