Register free!

Old 03-22-2005, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Adding topsoil

What do you guys charge per yard to install topsoil... I need to bring in about 3-4 yards of top soil then grade and seed... I live in NJ area... Just wondering what you guys are charging. I'd imagine this would all me done by hand...
Old 03-22-2005, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Id get about $350.00 for the dirt and labor. The dirt would run me about 32.00 a yard and you're looking at about 2 .5 hours of labor for one person. Thats for 4 yards.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I need to fill in these 3 long ruts... do you think I can just fill in over the grass or do I need to scalp whats there?
Old 03-22-2005, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You should be able to fill in over the existing grass. That $350 sounds about right.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would pay $105.00 for 4 Cy Nutrigreen Compost.
another $20.00 for seed
Grade/Labor for 1 person with mini loader$140.00.

Total $380.00.. Sounds like a nice little job.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by procut
You should be able to fill in over the existing grass.
Does it need to be cut first? Is it fine if the grass lays over when spreading the topsoil over it?
Old 04-03-2005, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

adding topsoil

Ztoro,
What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to reseed the lawn or top dress the lawn?
What you are discussing seems like top dressing. If you do not know just what you are trying to do just type reseeding or top dressing in a search engine and you will get a lot of advise.
The bid is not that important. What is important is installing the lawn right. The owner will pay you and even give you more money if you do a good job. He may even ask you to mow the lawn.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I am leveling the lawn. There were ruts up to 2-3 inches deep and other uneven places in the lawn due to crappy landscaping when the lawn was put in.

I put down 1/2" to 2" in the rutted areas to make the lawn even walkable without twisting an ankle. The grass was about ready to need a cut (2-4" tall). I live in the Seattle area and our grasses are typically cut between 2 and 3 inches. When I spread out the topsoil, I used a large rake like those used for sand traps at golf courses to spread the topsoil. It laid the grass over in areas. We then rolled it with a 20 gal roller full of water. It definitely needs to be seeded again.

I guess what I am asking is in the areas where the topsoil covers the laid over grass, will the new seed take hold since there is a thin layer of laid over grass in between? I read in a few places that some said it was ok for grass to be laid over, others not... Will the laid over grass pop through the surface or die? Should I go back and attempt to get the grass to pop through the surface?
Old 04-04-2005, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamma Landscape Group
Ztoro,
What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to reseed the lawn or top dress the lawn?
What you are discussing seems like top dressing. If you do not know just what you are trying to do just type reseeding or top dressing in a search engine and you will get a lot of advise.
The bid is not that important. What is important is installing the lawn right. The owner will pay you and even give you more money if you do a good job. He may even ask you to mow the lawn.

My post above states:

"I need to bring in about 3-4 yards of top soil then grade and seed...."

and

"I need to fill in these 3 long ruts... do you think I can just fill in over the grass or do I need to scalp whats there?"

So I need to fill in 3 large ruts , grade and seed them........
Old 04-28-2005, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztoro
I need to fill in these 3 long ruts... do you think I can just fill in over the grass or do I need to scalp whats there?
YOU DONT KNOW JACK