Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2005, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Mulch

Hey guys,
Here we go, my phone has not stopped ringing!

My question is what do you guys charge for mulch?

Here's my prices:

New Customer:

75$ per yard of mulch
Preen + 5$ per yard of mulch
Edging + 5 $ per yard of mulch

Existing customer 65 per yard of mulch

Preen and edging are the same add ons.

Here is my problem, we've got a couple guys from out of the area that come in here and do everything for 35$ per yard of mulch. WHAT THE HELL! I couldn't figure out how this guy was making any money then i saw him doing a job one day.
Hes got a bark blower that probably cost about 100G and his guys use very little mulch. one jerk like this cost me thounds last year!

ITS NOT ONLY THE NEW GUYS WHO UNDER CUT!

What do you guys charge?
Old 03-20-2005, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If he can run a legit business and turn a profit at the same time with those prices you either have to a) become more efficient to keep costs down or b) suck it up and find something else where you can compete. Doesnt necessarily mean not mulching either though.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a bark blower that cost around 300K. I mainly do work for commerial accounts and when I do this I go only through other landscapers. Now the blower application will reduce the amount of mulch due to the fact that it is more evenly spread. I don't think it is good business practice to undercut the landscapers and I don't. I work with them and I will not do any commercial accounts on my own if I get a call for it then I will contact the landscaper who services the account and let them know I was contacted. If they want to use my service than great if not then there loss. I would contact the mulch blower you saw and see about subbing your work out to them. Most of the landscaping companies in our area are starting to see the light. We are able to spread mulch much faster, better quality, and at a good savings to the landscaper. If you look at your costs for fuel, labor, materials, and ect... It is usualy in the 30-40 range (at least in our area) this is why we keep our prices right at your cost this way you can cut your labor inturn saving you money and we can get your job done much faster than by hand.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclay11541
Here is my problem, we've got a couple guys from out of the area that come in here and do everything for 35$ per yard of mulch. WHAT THE HELL! I couldn't figure out how this guy was making any money then i saw him doing a job one day.
Hes got a bark blower that probably cost about 100G and his guys use very little mulch. one jerk like this cost me thounds last year!

ITS NOT ONLY THE NEW GUYS WHO UNDER CUT!

What do you guys charge?

I'll bet that $35 doesn't include edging and cleanup. I have jobs over 5 yards blown too. The sub charges me $40/yard and I in turn charge $90/yard. In all actuality....you may want to raise your prices.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

RCLAY,

IM IN THE LAWRENCEVILLE, NJ AREA IN KNOW SEVERAL GUYS THAT GET $125.00 PER YARD INSTALLED. YOUR PROFILE SAYS YOUR 21 YEARS OLD AND IN BUSINESS FOR 13 YEARS SO YOU STARTED WHEN YOU WERE 8 YEARS OLD ??????????

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

Last edited by RICHIE K; 03-20-2005 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHIE K
IN KNOW SEVERAL GUYS THAT GET $125.00 PER YARD INSTALLED.

Now that's nice to finally hear!!! :blob3:
Old 03-20-2005, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah i have been in business that long, my mom and dad say i was born with a lawn mower in one hand and weed wacker in the other. Company name has been the same for the past 13 years always had crap loads of lawns company became an LLP when i turned 18 and still going.

Yeah so i have been in business that long I have customer still with me since i started.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

ok 125 sounds freaking spectacular so i think im not gona budge on my prices. Thanks for the reashurance guys ( yeah i know my spellin sucks). Contacting the bark blower does sound like a good idea if hes not a jerk but i think he is because he sent cards out to all the homes in my town saying something to the effect of "dont pay XX$ per yard of mulch i do it for 35$"

i actually had past customers screaming at me on the phone when they got these cards saying i ripped them off! After much explaining that this new guy uses a bark blower they finaly understood. I think he hurt just about every landscaper in my town pritty bad.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if this guy did then try and find another blower company... Also do you know if this guy was running an Express Blower truck or a Finn?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

i must admit im not up to date on my bark blowers. He had a dump truck with a huge contraption on the back and a very very long large hose that shot mulch. Thing was loud!