Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2005, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Smalltimer, Dodge transmissions are not as bad as you think. Just because you had bad luck with one doesn't make every single one of them bad. if that was the case then no one would buy dodges and I don't know about where you live but here there are a lot of Dodges on the road. Just as many as Fords and Chevy's. In 2003 Dodge redesigned their transmissions and came out with the 48 re and there have been very few problems with it. It's a lot better transmission than the old 47re used with the Cummins in 2002 and down. I think the new Dodge transmissions would hold up just as good as any other auto transmission.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

my dodge

My Dodge 2500 has a 6 speed manual.Zero problems. seems the automatics are the ones with more trouble. I've been a Diesel Mechanic for 17 yrs. and recently got out because of a bad back. In my experience the new powerstrokes are having a lot of electrical and injection problems. The new chevy Duramax is having major trouble with heads in 30,000 mile range. Friend has one and been to shop 4 times with head problems.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The Duramax's is also having problems with the flywheels breaking.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnworks
Do you even own a diesel? Come on man. Don't act like you know what the hell you are talking about because you look stuff on the internet. Get some real world experience. I have built three cummins motors for hp from the ground up. I have three diesel trucks right now. don't act like I don't have any experience w/ diesels. One of my cummins has 276k w/ NO PROBLEMS. Any truck can be abused and need a rebuild. Powerstrokes could not even be rebuilt till a couple years ago. They were/are throw away motors. Go look on ebay and see how burnt powerjokes there on there. I think they are both good motors, but cummins is by far superior. Why the hell don't you see people putting powerstrokes into dodges?? I am not against Fords, in fact I am thinking about buying a F450 crew cab, but I sure wish there was a cummins option.

Yes I work on them at the farm.

1987 Chevy 70 Cat 3208/Road Ranger
1975 John Deere 4230 Quad Range Diesel
2001 John Deere 5205 SyncReverse Diesel

Had a International Loadstar with the Cummins--worst diesel ever put in a truck. Went through numerous injector pumps and always combatting fuel leaks. Got smart and got a Cat diesel, the repair bills almost disappeared then.

Power Strokes are not throw aways, I drove one a while back with 800k on the original engine. Talk to any of the loggers and OTR drivers around here and they'll tell you Cummins are disposable engines. Most prefer Cats and there are people that like Detroits.

Actually I have seen several non-turbo 7.3's put in Dodges, easy to do because of the mechanical control and no electronics. The reason you don't see PSD's in Dodges is because of the amount of electrical fab up required. The Cummins put in Fords are 6BTA's with out electronics. I have heard of one 24v Cummins put in a Ford, but the cost was so enormous that you'd never get the money back out.

Look around at medium duty trucks, International engines are by far the best. The DT-466 started off rough in the late 70's but has now been refined to be the best MD diesel out. The same goes for the HT-570. The Power Stroke T444E was also one of the best out, its only downfall was emissions. In the Class 8 OTR trucks, Cats rule the roads. Cummins are base or discounted, while Cats are the top option available. Power Stroke trucks also retain higher resale value than Cummins. Wonder why?

I took my mother's Dodge Intrepid into the Dodge dealer for oil change/filter yesterday afternoon, and was talking to a salesman about the diesel trucks, and asked about the automatic transmissions, he said that they were instructed not to talk about the autos unless the customer mentioned it, he ended up telling me that the bugs are still not out of the 48RE.

2004 Ford F-250 XL RC/LB 4x2 Power Stroke Diesel
2010 John Deere Z710A 48" cut
1999 John Deere GT-235/54" deck
1985 John Deere 212 w/38" deck
1983 John Deere 420 w/54" hydraulic front blade
1974 John Deere 140, 54" hydraulic blade, 3pt. hitch, tandem disc, plow, 48" deck
1971 John Deere 112, 38" deck, all original, down for engine rebuild.
1967 IH Cub Cadet 124 w/creeper box, disc, plow
1947 Economy/Power King Tractor S/N 590, fully restored.

Certified John Deere Technician
Old 03-26-2005, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Power Strokes are not throw aways, I drove one a while back with 800k on the original engine. Talk to any of the loggers and OTR drivers around here and they'll tell you Cummins are disposable engines. Most prefer Cats and there are people that like Detroits.
Umm yes they are. They are too expensive to rebuild. Ask any qualified mechanic. Cummins are disposable? What? I have built 3 for far less than the cost of a new one. Parts are readily available. Perhaps you should look up "disposable" in the dictionary. Logger and OTR drivers all have 6-cylinder diesels in their big rigs... why would they like a V8 diesel engine. Torque is a beautiful thing, and torque is 6-cylinder motor's specialty.

Quote:
Actually I have seen several non-turbo 7.3's put in Dodges, easy to do because of the mechanical control and no electronics. The reason you don't see PSD's in Dodges is because of the amount of electrical fab up required. The Cummins put in Fords are 6BTA's with out electronics. I have heard of one 24v Cummins put in a Ford, but the cost was so enormous that you'd never get the money back out.
Show me a powerstroke in a dodge! Post a picture!

Quote:
Look around at medium duty trucks, International engines are by far the best. The DT-466 started off rough in the late 70's but has now been refined to be the best MD diesel out. The same goes for the HT-570. The Power Stroke T444E was also one of the best out, its only downfall was emissions. In the Class 8 OTR trucks, Cats rule the roads. Cummins are base or discounted, while Cats are the top option available. Power Stroke trucks also retain higher resale value than Cummins. Wonder why?
This is purely your opinion which is frankly misguided.

Quote:
I took my mother's Dodge Intrepid into the Dodge dealer for oil change/filter yesterday afternoon, and was talking to a salesman about the diesel trucks, and asked about the automatic transmissions, he said that they were instructed not to talk about the autos unless the customer mentioned it, he ended up telling me that the bugs are still not out of the 48RE.
Hey man, your brand loyalty is mind boggling. You can't even admit Powerstrokes have problems at all other than a cam sensor problem.

Do you, yourself actually own a diesel??? Not your daddy's diesel... if not I don't see how your opinion could be worth the crap on the bottom of my shoe.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Powerstrokes here.
http://www.PlanetLandscaping.net "Helping keep Earth Green" We use Ford F550 powerstrokes ,Mistubishi cabovers,Kubota Tractors and Excavators, Scag turf tigers,Exmark Lazers,Wright Standers, Shindiawa, Redmax , Finn Hydroseeder's and a bunch of other goodies. International Assoiciation of Hydroseeding Professionals, President: .
Old 03-26-2005, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Lawnworks- Don't waste your time aruging with small timer. Everytime a truck thread comes up its the same deal. Don't waste your time. Let him be a dumb and buy a powerstroke.

Matt
Old 03-26-2005, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

My vote is cummins all the way. Why do you people think cummins hasn't changed their design over the last decade and a half. The 7.3 didn't cut it and in 4 or 5 years there will be something different besides the 6.0. Mean while cummins will be in there third decade. No need to change perfection!
Old 03-26-2005, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

There's a reason why there called power jokes!
Old 03-27-2005, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Member

id rather be cummin than strokin