Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-24-2005, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My New Website. Looking For Feedback

Hey, just finished a major update to our website, and would be interested in hearing any constructive critisim or comments.

www.mowerforless.com

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 03-24-2005, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

the biggest thing that I saw was that there was too much text to read
Old 03-24-2005, 05:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Am I the only one responding?
Old 03-24-2005, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

website feedback

I have to agree that it was too "wordy." I would try to tighten up the sentences and cut out so much verbiage. Otherwise you will lose the readers attention. Buttons for each phase of the business are nice.

Ford F150 XL Truck 1998
6 x 10 Trailrite Trailer w/ramp
Husqvarna MZT 52 mower
Big Dog C142 mower
RedMax BCZ2401S Trimmer
Stihl FS-55-T Trimmer
Husqvarna 570BTS Backpack blower
Husqvarna 445 Chain Saw
Redmax HB280 hand held blower
Echo HC-150 gas hedge trimmer
Jungle Jack
Wright Grass Gobbler
Arien's dual stage 625E snowthrower

Old 03-24-2005, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Too much content for someone to sit and view IMO.

Also, check your spelling on every page. There are mistakes in there.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

tiedeman, you need to get some sleep...
------------
kevin, i think you're on the right path, but i think there are few things you could do to enhance the site:

- large fonts, such as the +4 size is a bit large for content, especially if a user is on an 800x600 resolution monitor as it's overwhelming. if you built this on a high resolution lcd monitor, kick the screen setting down through the various resolutions and see how your visitors will see it.

- another content issue, besides the aforementioned very good advice to cut down on the page 1 verbiage, is to re-think your use of comic sans for your font choice. any time you take content and add a non-typical font (arial, times, verdana, helvetica, courier, etc), you make the readability more difficult. in it's current form, with what amounts to a bunch of paragraphs in bold comic sans on a brighter colored background, i actually have no interest in trying to read it.

- for the same readability issues, i'd get rid of the bolding you've used for the testimonials. it's just not how we are conditioned to read something.

- you might want to adjust your tables to a fixed width so that on higher res monitors, your site doesn't stretch across the screen. when this occurs, your sentences become very "wide", as in it makes the reader's eyes travel longer distances across the screen until they hit the end and then have to go back across the screen to get to the next line. this is one of those things that goes back to how we are conditioned to read (look at books, magazines, newspapers - more vertical, less horizontal).

- you should get your contact info (phone) on every single page, especially featured on page 1. as it is now, you have to hunt for it.

- your logo's quality is a bit low. did you resize it from a larger .gif? if so, and you are able to do it, you should resize it from the original vector format.

- very nice use of pictures in your portfolio. of all the sites i've seen put up for review, you are one of the very few who have handled thumbnails correctly. a 3k thumbnail can look close in quality to a 100k thumbnail.

yell if you need any clarifications...
tony
Old 03-24-2005, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks everybody who has looked and commented so far. I can understand alot of the feedback about being wordy, truth is I designed it to be that way. Its pretty much an experiment based on an advertising class that I took. Theory is that if you can get your prospects attention, it dosent matter how long the copy is, if it is relavant, and not too boring, they will read it. My website is not my primary marketing tool, I use newspaper ads, fliers, refferals, and am looking this year into doing a few direct mailings. My intention was to grab their attention, direct them to the website for supplemental info, and see how it goes. Last year I ran a more condensed website, lot less wordy, and only got 2 customers from it. I will have to let you guys know how the experiment into a wordy website goes.

Tony, you have several suggestions I had not thought of. I did design the site on a Higher Res LCD panel, 1280x960. So to me the text looked proportionate. I did resize to 800x600 and was surprise by how large it actually got. I think I will look into resizing it, thanks.

I did'nt think the contrast between black and the pale yellow was to irritating to read, however I would like to see some more opinions on that... I may have to rething the color sheme, or possibly text color as well.

The logo is from an original Adobe Illustrator file, I am not sure why it got jagged like that when resized into a .gif. I will have to retry it and work on that a little more.

I have a Contact Us button on every page of the site, I didnt think it was really hunting for the contact info. I thought it might be too redundant to have contact info on every page, and then a contact page with the same info as every other page. I guess it didnt concern me to much as I mentioned above, the website was only to further my other means of advertising, which means they would already have my contact info. What does everyone else think about this?

And thanks for noticing the small size of the thumbnails. Photoshop is an excellent program.

Thanks all for your suggestions so far, I would like to hear some rebuttals, or some more suggestions if anybody has any.

Kevin
Old 03-24-2005, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek
tiedeman, you need to get some sleep...
------------

tony
I have been trying to. The past two weeks I can not sleep at all. I usually don't go to be now until 5 to 6am. It's horrrible! I just woke up 30 mins ago
Old 03-24-2005, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

requested rebuttals:

Quote:
Theory is that if you can get your prospects attention, it dosent matter how long the copy is, if it is relavant, and not too boring, they will read it.
knock yourself out, but i disagree with that as it applies to a website's homepage. sub-pages, yes. homepage, no. it's going to be tough to guage, but don't base it on the 2 customer's you capture through it last year as that's not going to be the driving force. the bigger issue for capturing leads from your websites is for them to find you through organic search methods. this comes from your site being optimized for the engines, which your site is not (read up on this by searching "SEO" for many helpful sites).

Quote:
I did'nt think the contrast between black and the pale yellow was to irritating to read, however I would like to see some more opinions on that
it's not that it's black text on yellow as much as it is heavy/bold black on yellow, although i still think a more muted color would lend itself to easier reading.

Quote:
The logo is from an original Adobe Illustrator file, I am not sure why it got jagged like that when resized into a .gif. I will have to retry it and work on that a little more.
be sure that you resized the image as the .ai file and then convert it to a .gif. if you convert to .gif and then resize it to a smaller version, it blows up.

Quote:
I have a Contact Us button on every page of the site, I didnt think it was really hunting for the contact info. I thought it might be too redundant to have contact info on every page, and then a contact page with the same info as every other page.
for a commerce-driving site, having to go to a page to get a phone number is "hunting" in my book. it might be splitting hairs since they are probably not apt to just leave your site or give up looking, but you really need to have your phone number on each page, especially on your home page.

the ironic thing in your comment about having redundancy of contact info is that if the info is so minimal (email and phone only), and it should be on every page to make it easier for a visitor, the contact page in and of itself only exists for the purpose of having another page (a filler page in my opinion). that's where i think a contact page is overused and should probably exist more in the form of a contact form than anything else. i know i find it a bit annoying to click on a contact page expecting a form and i only get information that's probably on every other page. (you asked for rebuttals... ask my wife, it's what i live for apparently. )

tony
Old 03-24-2005, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
(you asked for rebuttals... ask my wife, it's what i live for apparently. )
Amen to that brother

JUST KIDDING TONY....
I have not read up on you (yet) but I suspect that you have had a computer related career?

My Contact form is going live tomorrow and then there will be some adding to the site Back-end. I will be asking for your opinion when it is all done!

Jason