Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-24-2005, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Contracts?

I have been cutting grass for 2 years. I have developed a good relationship with my customers, they know me, and I know them. After I was done cutting each lawn the past 2 years, I would collect the money at the door to create a good relationship between us. I would basically get to know them, and make them laugh or smile. Time is money-I know this, but they have my money, I wanted to make them happy the first few years by talking to them, make sure I am in the door real good, and then start being more professional the following years by sending out the bill. I won't be able to suck up as much any more and I haven't had any of my customers sign contracts. I know they won't drop me, but would it be necessary to have them sign contracts, if so, why?
Old 03-24-2005, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A contracted account is equity in your business. I would never purchase an account w/o a contract. Having a contract also makes sure that the customer understands thier part in the service relationship, this also keeps you in check.
No contract, No service. Just my opinion. Good Luck!!
Old 03-24-2005, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Contracts arent always neccesary. I have built most of my customer base without using contracts. Not everyone is out to get you and everything has always worked out for my company...now with commercial companies and anything non residential...a contract is a must.

"Just cause you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect" -King of the Hill
Old 03-24-2005, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks guys I will use this advice wisely.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

This will be my 15th season still have a couple of the originals, no contract. With residentials a handshake is good enough for me. In fact I think it would scare off more business than I could make by holding someone to the fine print in contract. Even with a contract you need to be willing to go to court to enforce it. I wouldn't "go to law" over the amounts we are talking with residential work, so why sign a contract if I'll never force anyone to stick to it. With residential work it seems people are honorable enough to pay without the big stick of a contract.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lawnlubber Very True !!!! Most customer have to get to know you and make sure you will do a good job for them so therefore you can't throw a contract in there hand and said SIGN this contract !! I'd mean what will a contract would do if they don't pay ?....its your word and his or her word too ..But ,,,make sure they be home or leave a check or cash before you start the job ..all my customer work and i've been doing there Lawn for years and they tell me where they will leave the check and Never have No Problem....But i like when Lawn Service tell there customers they ONLY work by contracts ,,cause they will call me or other Lawn Service that don't push for contract,,,,