Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-24-2005, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Member

full time jobs

How many of you work another full time job and do the landscaping biz on the side? If you some of you do that, how many accounts do you have on the side?
Old 03-24-2005, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

i hold down a 40 hour job and do lawns on saturday and some weeknights. i have 20 customers, but 10 of them are every other week, so it is about 10 per week. Could probably add more, but right now i spend to much time driving to the properties.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

How long to you plan on doing it on the side?
Old 03-24-2005, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

probably another 2-3 years. i am trying to pay for all equipement through what i make and then make the jump.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm a full time welder ,the most costumers I've had at one time is 21 I don't do contracts because you never know whats going to happen at the job . and i let my costumers Know up front that i do it part time. But they don't seem to mind.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I work full time and have been doing the lawn maintenance thing for three years. I do it on weekends and some nights after work when daylight savings time allows it. The majority of my profit goes right back into the business for maintenance or upgrading equipment. I started with the minimum homeowner rated equipment necessary to provide most of the services my accounts asked for, (Murray/Weedeater/Ryobi). Each season gets a little better. My accounts are in the higher range of middle income. There is money to be made in this service, and I actually enjoy it. I don't have the clients that a lot of businesses on this site do, but again, this is a side venture. I have one employee, (my brother - n-law), and 2 John Deere riders, 2 Husqvarna string trimmers, 2 Stihl handheld blowers and a lot of other goodies I have bought along the way. My accounts are every other week and I pick up quite a few new customers by word of mouth. I would love to do this full time and have a few crews with all the equipment necessary, but I aint there yet. I am learning daily and one day I will be able to walk in to my office and crap on my bosses desk, but the Son (*!@#*&*^) pays too much right now for that to happen.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm on my own now, but for about 10 years I worked as a cook at a Chinese restaurant full time. As the lawn business slowly grew I would tell the owner about it and got him involved in the dream. He allowed me to switch my job at the restaurant to prep work( cutting meat and veggies) so I could work late nights leaving the days for my business. He was my first commercial account. Over 10 years I grew from 0 -35. I was almost ready to go on my own (I figured I needed about 40 accounts) when the owner of the restaurant unexpectedly retired. The new management didn't like my late night schedule and my days are spoken for so I had to leave the restaurant. I miss the free food and insurance.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am a fulltime firefighter/paramedic...I have 18 accounts, 1 is commercial, only because the business belongs to a friend of mine. I don't plan to go full-time with it but maybe add a few account once the kids are in school full days.

I love both jobs.....

Derek

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 03-26-2005, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

working 2

I currently work 40hrs a week at my full time job. Last year was my first year doing both went well. Except for when it rains, puts me back like everyone else. But I handled 20 accounts and many landscape jobs on top of that. I can not understand why the unemployment rate is so high, summer I work sun up to sun down. Drive a 454 gmc everywhere and have money left over! I guess I'm saying work is out there, If your willing to work
Old 03-27-2005, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I work 45 hrs. as a Retail manager, and started up P/T lawn care this season. In about 3 weeks I'm up to 13 regular accounts with 5 one timers on top of that. I'm fortunate as being the boss I write the schedule, and because it's retail I can work nights to leave some mornings free.

Of the 13 accounts, only 2 are weekly and I'm finding this to be a great advantage while working full time. I can handle about 25-30 lawns weekly, so if 24 of them are BI weekly, that means I can actually double my accounts due to every other week mowings, as opposed to weekly where I would top out.
The goal is to be out of full time next spring with two crews, and I don't see that being a problem!