Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2005, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Paver Scuffing Again

Does anyone have a solution to get rid of scuff marks made by a plate compactor on concrete pavers? I'm looking for a fix, not "what you should have done....." Is there a sealant you can put on pavers that would get rid of the white scuffs?
Old 03-25-2005, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Tips for Installers

The ICPI Certification Schools, conversations with contractors and suppliers provide many tips for installers. We offer you some below.

Problem: Profiled (bumpy surfaced) pavers get scuffed when exposed to a plate compactor.
Solution: Try a neoprene or rubber pad on the plate compactor. Most compactor equipment suppliers sell these. Good results have been reported using Mirafi500X geotextile applied directly to the area being compacted.

Problem: An excavated area fills with rain. What's next?
Solutions: After all the water is drained, there are several options depending on the amount of time and money available. They are listed from least cost-most time to most cost-least time.
1) Let the soil dry out, then install geotextile and compacted, crushed-stone base as a normal installation.
2) Excavate further by removing the wet soil, add geotextile and crushed aggregate base to fill up to original depth of excavation.
3) Apply lime or cement to the soil, mix it in and compact it. Allow the cement to begin curing, typically a few hours. Apply geotextile and a compacted, crushed stone aggregate base as a normal installation.
4) Next time cover the excavation and shape the grade around so rainfall drains away from the opening, as well as not enter it.

found this on their site
Old 03-25-2005, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

no one has a solution? or even an unproven idea?
Old 03-25-2005, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The last thing I would do is seal them. Sealing them won't allow them to weather. How many of them are scuffed?
Old 03-26-2005, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbella
The last thing I would do is seal them. Sealing them won't allow them to weather. How many of them are scuffed?
All of them about 400 sq feet
Old 03-26-2005, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you show us a picture?
Old 03-26-2005, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Member

sorry i didnt read your question right have you tried a efflorescence cleaner on the pad yet but that might just brighten up the color of the paver and make the gouges more visable. i would wait a few months and see if the scuffs weather away.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Residential Recreation
sorry i didnt read your question right have you tried a efflorescence cleaner on the pad yet but that might just brighten up the color of the paver and make the gouges more visable. i would wait a few months and see if the scuffs weather away.
I thought you were just telling me to use a pad when i install. Were you saying i could use a pad now and it might buff off the efflorescence? I did the install in October, so these pavers have had a whole Maine winter on them and the marks are still there.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyspags
I thought you were just telling me to use a pad when i install. Were you saying i could use a pad now and it might buff off the efflorescence? I did the install in October, so these pavers have had a whole Maine winter on them and the marks are still there.
i was accidentally telling you to use the pad for the install. sorry but you did give me a good idea lets see what others think of this one

Sand off a fracton of the paver.
SCUFF ALL THE PAVERS. use a tamper with a very abrasive pad on it. i.e. the green pads most people use for washing pots and pans. most restaurnt supply or hardware stores cary them. then use a slightly less abrasive than the pad. a buffing compound. this should buff most of the pavers. they would all look uniform and this might look better than the large scuffs that you have. then use the cleaner. if this works let us know..
Old 03-27-2005, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bigdaddy, can you get a picture?