Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2005, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Member

I Want to learn pond building

I want to expand my landscape business to include ponds. I have never built one. I have been told to go to a build a pond day, but none are coming to the Austin area. Can anyone recommend a good book, videos, website, etc.

thanks in advance
Old 03-26-2005, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well..

A good place to start learning about how to build ponds, is on the internet. To find books on pond building, you could go to Petsmart, or Petco. I saw some books on pond building in those stores the last time I visited them.

Vic
Old 03-27-2005, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

pond building

Don't waste your time with books on general pond building. Get hooked up with ADI, Aquascapes Design. I just went to a 2 day seminar with them this past week and it was amazing. They cover all aspects of the business from being in the the hole digging out the pond to sitting at someones kitchen table and closing a sale. I know ADI isn't everyones favorite, nor the least expensive, but if you want all the info at one location, go to there website and start searching and travel if you have to to get to one of the seminars. I am ready to go and have already implemented their practices and hope to have a couple of ponds lined up in the next couple of weeks.
Good Luck
David
Old 03-27-2005, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sheldon

I would strongly recommend that you don't follow David's advice about avoiding books on general pond building. To get a good knowledge of pond building techniques and what's out there, you're going to want to stick your nose in books, read about pond building techniques on the internet and attend seminars if you can. ADI has their way of building ponds, but that is just one way. There are many things you'll need to learn, that you won't learn in an ADI class.

Do you want to have an idea of what you're doing, or do you want to know exactly what you're doing? Educate yourself on pond building using a wide array of information sources. That way, you'll be able to decide which pond building techniques best suit YOU. Not someone else. There are so many different ways to build good ponds.

Vic
Old 03-28-2005, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

the class would be a waste of time and money

everone has something different something unique about them. If you were a chef working for a small itialian restaurant would you want all of your food to taste exactly like the olive garden. why would people go to you and not the olive garden. its your technique your work sells itself if your work looks like everyone elses why would we hire you to build a pond. a 2 day class will give you an overveiw of the basics. dig a hole add matt fill with water. filter etc..... pick up a few books and skim through them you will find things that you agree with and things you dont. school is for people that cant figure things out on their own.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

just my two cents

information is the key if you can get to an ADI seminar that would be great, but if they are anything like the ones up here in Canada you will need alot more information then just their seminar. They have a great website with a message board i strongly recommend to anyone here in the pond business to check it out.Build your own pond first then decide for yourself just how much information you really need.Also i have a couple of dvds and videos i would be more then happy to share with anyone.By the way i am not try to insult anyone here by saying if your in the business check out their message board it's just i think it is a great tool to learn from,and for you guys who have been around for years it is another place you can teach us newbies.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Member

gardenweb.com ponds forum the best imformation you can get
Old 04-10-2005, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Member

gardenweb.com ponds forum the best information you can get
Old 04-20-2005, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Build a Pond

I attended a Build A Pond class put on by Aquascape. It was a really good class and I learned a lot. Cost $199 for the advanced class. We went out an build a pond for a customer, actually 3 ponds with waterfalls and a stream. Posting a picture from the class.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2005, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's cool...

How much would a pond like that cost?

We are doing a pond tmrw at the local Aquascape Shop as well.