Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2005, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfsurfer
Now, if we can just get the lowballers out of the game. Scott's quoted me $165 to aerate my yard. Several dummies in the local paper offerring to do it for $35-$50.
Sub those guys out!!! Sounds like Scott's is at 15 / k that is about what we get here.

Thanks for the input on the plugger on the small lawns. I have a big debate in my head (and paper) as to which should be my next machine.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wish we could get 15 per K here. Too many low guys. Only the national chains trying it and too many guys think a competitive price means discounting 75%. Anybody heard of knocking just a few bucks off? I admit I offer a pretty good aeration deal for new customers signing up for full service or customers who get me several referrals but these are guys that all they do are aerations.
Scott's is actually really raising the bar on prices this year. If only TGCL would follow suit, fert prices in general could go up here.
As far as the Z-plugger. It works really well for me but with that kind of money involved, I still recommend you try one for yourself before committing. No problem on smallish yards though. Actually like aerating again.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

walker mower attachment

Seeing we are talking about riding aerators has anybody tried the walker mower with the aerator attachment?
Old 10-05-2005, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

well after 5 mo. of owning the aerator it done me well so far.
it made my job easier and i was able to do the jobs at a cost my clients can afford.
i still have not got a aeration pattern down pat yet, one guy was saying that a "zamboni pattern" works out..
ant

2003 ford F 150
1- 14' OPEN TRAILER sold
1- 16' open trailer
BILLMASTER SOFTWARE FOR MY LAWN CARE.
http://www.customizedbusinesssoftware.com
QUICK BOOKS FOR ACCOUNTING
1- Z SPRAY Intermediate
1- Z SPRAY MAX
2-Z PLUGGER
1-Lesco Renovator
1- CLASSEN SPLIT REEL CORE AERATOR
1- 150 GAL NURSE TANK WITH A 20 GPM TIGER PUMP.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've still got about 70 jobs to go this Fall but so far I think the Zplugr rocks. Especially if I get on a wide open yard (big or small as 5k), I will just take that thing and do circle after circle. There is no way anyone around me is pulling anywhere near the same number of plugs as I can with this unit, let alone in the same amount of time. Best of all, absolutely no fatigue!!
Yes, the soil still has to have some moisture to pull a good plug, but the Z-Plugr does as well as my Ryan V.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

sufer..you are 100% right..
i have the 36'' unit and it does a great job.
do you feel that it does better going in left circles then right? you would think that it makes no difference but it does on my unit..
i carry a small rubber mallet and a drift pin and clean out the spoons now and then..seems to pick up alot of stones and clog the spoons..

2003 ford F 150
1- 14' OPEN TRAILER sold
1- 16' open trailer
BILLMASTER SOFTWARE FOR MY LAWN CARE.
http://www.customizedbusinesssoftware.com
QUICK BOOKS FOR ACCOUNTING
1- Z SPRAY Intermediate
1- Z SPRAY MAX
2-Z PLUGGER
1-Lesco Renovator
1- CLASSEN SPLIT REEL CORE AERATOR
1- 150 GAL NURSE TANK WITH A 20 GPM TIGER PUMP.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Funny you should say that Ant, I thought something was wrong with mine but it does turn easier to one side.

I also thought that the z plugger does better than the walk behinds in dry conditions. It is so dry around here that I didn't even think I would be able to go out and aerate. I wouldn't have even tried a walk behind but decided to see what kind of plugs I would be pulling with this new mach. It didn't pull the same kind of plugs under moist conditions, but it did pull plugs.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

ITS MAKEING ME MONEY
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2008, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah it would be nice to get rid of the cutthroats but unfortunatly there will always be an idiot that thinks wear and tear on equipment,gas and labor are worth jack#@*#
Old 01-12-2008, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfsurfer View Post
I bought the 36" unit since that is what I demoed. Thought overall it would be more flexible and maneuver better. I still may buy the 48" head to switch back and forth if I start getting enough big jobs to warrant it. I have a few that are over an acre but still got done pretty fast with the 36 last fall.
With the zero turn capabilities, it's not hard to put on small yards at all. Just like a walk behind, you make your pass, lift the tines turn and come back. The difference is it's not YOU lifting the aerator all day or walking behind it. It won't make a zero turn while aerating but you can maneuver it pretty well to follow bed outlines and gradual turns.
Last year while demoing, I saw a new neighbor (a do it yourself type guy) unload a rental ryan unit to aerate his yard. It just happened to be a Saturday and I was going to aerate my own yard that day. His yard is about 8k and mine about 11k. I let him get about a 10-15 minute head start then fired up the z-plugger. I was done with my second pass and he was just finishing up his first. I don't think he'll be renting this year. Classen also has a stand on unit this year but was almost $2000 more and I couldn't get one to demo.
Now, if we can just get the lowballers out of the game. Scott's quoted me $165 to aerate my yard. Several dummies in the local paper offerring to do it for $35-$50.

I get $25 per 1000 I use a walk behind on the edges and a hooker , no not a call girl, a JRCO hooker it works pretty good, I overlap 50% so its the same as 2 passes
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers