Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2005, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Orange Co. NY - Monroe Area

Happy that LawnSite has added this forum. Very professional work by those contributing.

I currently have a 270' long asphalt drive. Near the road (20-30' in from the road) I have a drainpipe running under the drive. The last 2-3 years the drive heaves/cracks in winter right where the drainpipe runs under the drive. Last year we patched the area but it did not hold this winter. I am wondering if I were to use pavers for the last 30 feet of the drive this problem would cease? I figure the initial install of the asphalt was done incorrectly (either too thin or did not take the mosture into consideration) or the drainpipe beneath has cracked. We also have several long cracks in the drive that end 200 ft from the house. The drive is only 4 years old.

I do not intend to do this work myself so I am wondering if there are any professionals in my area. I also have some interest in relocating a fieldstone wall and adding some retaining walls to the property.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-28-2005, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

their may have been settling from the pipe clogging so the drainage system might need to be looked at to but pavers hold up very well over concrete and asphalt.

masonry and landscape services for the lower hudson valley
Old 03-30-2005, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello. Im a few towns over in Campbell Hall. E mail me at soutarmotox@yahoo.com if ya need any help. It sounds to me like the driain pipe has fractured and if it is not taking the water away from the driveway the freeze/thaw action could be what is ruining the driveway. I could come over sometime and look at it if ya want. E mail me back or you can call me on my business phone, 845-649-5832. Thanks

James
JS LANDSCAPING