Register free!

Old 03-27-2005, 04:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Talk to me about concrete stamping

I am putting in a big driveway, and walkways to house(detached garage), and really really like the look of the stamping and color.
Is it difficult to do? where do you get the stamp thing, and the coloring.
If I don't do this I will do exposed agg, but would really like to stamp.
any input would be great. obviously I am oblivious to this side of concrete.
thanks guys....jon
Old 03-27-2005, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Stamped COncrete

Stamped concrete has its advantages, but I never recommend it over pavers because they lose their shape over time (the depth of the stamping wears down with traffic. Once this happens you lose the "lines" making it look like one big flat dyed area with no detail.

Pavers are the way to go. Not to mention, dying the concrete is something that is best to leave to the Concrete Company that would deliver the cement for consistency.

Good Luck,
Old 03-27-2005, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Member

thats good info, but dang! that would be a ton of pavers. Pretty big apron in front on garage. you would really do that instead of some sort of concrete?
I have never heard of the stamping wearing off, so thats good to hear that side of it...thanks
Old 03-27-2005, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Its a driveway, the concrete will be long gone from other reasons before the lines are wore off. Most cement co sell the stamps they run about $200 a stamp depending on design. The cement Co will also add the dye once you figure out a color ,but be prepared for a diffent color from what you expected, its hard for then to mix up large batches and get exact color matching. If you never done it before sub the job out as theres more work to it than just the stamping, you need to go back over all the lines and define them and smooth them more than what a stamp will do.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Member

so it sounds like a pain as far as defining the lines.

sub out just the stamping, or would the contractor want to do the whole thing? I'm trying to keep cost down because I'm trying to put all the sweat equity into my house as possible.
sounds like you guys have done it before, did you like how it turned out? or was it a nightmare?
thanks
Old 03-27-2005, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I do alot of stamped concrete in my area. It it pretty costly. We charge anywhere from $10-$14 a square foot. Just to form, pour, stamp, and seal.
I am doing my own driveway and will not stamp the entire surface. Big surfaces tend to take away from the technique. I am going to form a few diamonds and borders and pour the rest regular concrete.
The job,, it isn't easy. I have been stamping for 3 years now and am still learning.
The coloring,, DO NOT go with a color hardener. This is only worked in on the surface which is much more labor intense. I only use liquid pigment. My local supplier makes it for my needs by the cubic yard. We will pour say 6 yards in the morning then pour 7 yards in the afternoon. I will have a bucket for each truck to mix in. From my experiences anything over 8 yards should be added at the plant. I usually drop it off there that morning.
The costs to buy the stamps is expensive. For example one pattern 14 rigid and 2 floppy stamps almost $3000.
My local dealer is www.concrete-texturing.com
The owners name is Bart, he has the best prices on the net for delivery. If you call him mention my name (Dave Delicati), he will take care of you.

As far as it wearing,, it doesn't round or loose it shape. We have a local university here that has it everywhere and no difference 10 years later.
I have alot of pics from jobs that I did with different colors and patterns if you want, dave427@echoes.net
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2005, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Forgot to mention, you need a release. I usually go with a colored release to give it different shades and highlights. You can also use plain concrete with 2 different color releases. It will save you $$$ as the pigment runs from $20-$80 a cubic yard depending on color. And the concrrete company usually charges an extra wash out fee if you use colors. My area is $30 each truck. It adds up on a bigger job being that we usually never pour more than 500 surface square feet at a time.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Member

thats a good shot, and thanks for the info, I will check out that site!
thanks
Old 03-27-2005, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

here are some shots of my buddy's house. he did this himself. I like the look of it, and thats what i was going to shoot for.
if these pics don't work, sorry this is my first time trying
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2005, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

He did a great job. From what I can tell from the pics, he used an antique stain. That would definately be easier for you to do. Cheaper also.