Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2005, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Is that actually stamped though?? What I mean, is we pour flat work. regular concrete with a trowel finish . Then a few days later cut joints through out to look like pattern stone and antique stain it to get the look he has.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovdasnow
so it sounds like a pain as far as defining the lines.

sub out just the stamping, or would the contractor want to do the whole thing? I'm trying to keep cost down because I'm trying to put all the sweat equity into my house as possible.
sounds like you guys have done it before, did you like how it turned out? or was it a nightmare?
thanks
I would sub out just the stamping part if you could but I'm not sure how that could be done since you need the color added and the stamps would need to be there and ready when you finished the screeding. So your probably gonna have to sub the whole job out. Or you can rent the stamps and talk to your cement co. and there usually pretty good at helping someone out that wants to learn to stencil/stamp cement. Its not a nitemare but its a lot of hard work! I am assuming that you have some knowledge of doing concrete work if not then sub it out
Old 03-27-2005, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

In my area several of the concrete companies lend you the stamps as long as you buy the concrete from them.

John
Old 03-27-2005, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I would never recommend stamping over pavers. especially depending on your climate. any concrete job you do the only thing you can guarentee is that it will crack. if you live in a seasonal climate. cold warm cold like mich indiana maine. you get the picture over the years your concrete expands and contracts. if your control joints arent right you could be screwed. stamping is like mini control joints. i can guarentee within 10 years that stammped pad willl loose its original lustur and start to crack. try to repair a peice of stamped concrete. its not going to be fun. plus you will never get an exact color match five or ten years later.

sorry all of you stampers out there
Old 03-27-2005, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In our area, where we experience as many as thirty freeze thaw cycles per year, I can't imagine why somebody would install stamped concrete over pavers.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For you guys that sell stamped concrete, what do you consider the benefits over pavers?
Old 03-27-2005, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbella
In our area, where we experience as many as thirty freeze thaw cycles, I can't imagine why somebody would install stamped concrete over pavers.
thank you mbella :blob3: i have a guy that wanted a stamped slab called me to do the job. his neighbor has one and he likes the look of it. i simply stated that i would not recommend stamping in northern indiana. because of cracking. any ways i went to his house and looked at his neighbors stamped pad. its level with the house but not with the ground i should have taken a picture you would have laughed this pad is flush with the ground at the house but at the end of the pad it stick up 4" above the sod. also who ever installed this bolted it straight to the houses foundation using rebar. so now this guy has a 15x20 stamped pad attached to his foundation. i give it 2 years max before his neighbor calls me to remove the rubble and install some pavers.

Last edited by Residential Recreation; 03-27-2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbella
For you guys that sell stamped concrete, what do you consider the benefits over pavers?
The benefits are that you have a little more color choice meaning you can match there siding, shutters, there cats fur, anything they want. But the biggest benefit is that it offers another option to the customer. And if its done right the lines are expansion joint that control cracking and heaving. If A drive can get 40 yrs out of concrete with 6-10 expansion cuts then you can imagine how a patio will hold up with a hundred or so smaller expansion cuts. I've seen patio and other stenciled concrete thats over 10 yrs old and it look great, maybe a little faded but that was only a minor thing that most would not notice. Its the same as pavers in that its all in the prep of the area before the actual installation.If that part is not done correctly then the job will not hold up for long.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

DONT DO IT. My dad had his concrete crew come over to do some for us. It gets to hard before you stamp. Sub it out! OR RENT A NICE JACKHAMMER!
Old 03-28-2005, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Member

as far as freezing and thawing go, I live in western oregon(very mild climate) temps in the 20's are rare, and it wouldn't be for very long, just during the night. so I'm not sure the cracking thing is a big deal. mainly worried about ease of install, sounds like you guys are leaning toward subbing it out, thanks again for the info.
anyone else's info would be appreciated, thanks jon