Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2005, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

It wasn't meant to knock anyone,, I was just stating that if I didn't stamp concrete,, I would never have enough work with pavers.
Sorry if anyone took it the wrong way
Old 03-28-2005, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

DJD, how long do you warranty the stamped concrete?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Usually a year, if there is a major problem we usually take care of it for a few years.
Most jobs we reseal the following year before winter included in the original price.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you warranty against cracking or spalling?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

you did not offend anybody we are just happy to hear from a stamper. my brother does a lot of stampin in cali but it really wouldnt work well here i have no problem with stampers sorry if you thought i was offended
Old 03-28-2005, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Crackin,. 99% of the time if it does crack off a control cut it will crack in the deep part of the pattern where if you reseal that spot with a lacquer sealer, fixed. Stops water from penetrating and hides the crack. Never had a problem with large cracks or lifting.
I never had a problem with spalling. We always,,, always use a good sealer whether it be stamped, stained, or regular concrete
To be honest from the best of my knowledge,, spalling is mostly caused by the workers. Adding that little bit of water to get cream up or just finishing it way to wet.
I have been a union mason for 13 years now and am still learning. I go to everyclass and seminar I can to keep learning.
I think the sealer is the answer to alot of concrete problems.

I tend to overdo alot. I mean I play it safe as far as prep, pouring and sealing. At $12 a square foot,,,, I make sure there are no problems that I can control
Old 03-28-2005, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

i hear you on volume

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJD
It wasn't meant to knock anyone,, I was just stating that if I didn't stamp concrete,, I would never have enough work with pavers.
Sorry if anyone took it the wrong way
i like to do flagstone patios but have time to check out stamping. do you think with five months of winter and 120" of snow stamping would hold up ?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

NP Residential,,
But I do have to tell you this,,,, I have stamped front sidewalks, inground pool all stamped,,, but yet off my deck,,,going to the pool, I have a 18x18 paver patio And No,, I am not kidding,lol
Old 03-28-2005, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

DJD, thanks for the responses. I understand that stamped concrete is selling better than pavers in your area. However, in my area, I would have to say the opposite is true. I think pavers are a better application for a few reasons. Lifetime warranty against cracking or spalling (never met a stamper that offered that kind of warranty), easy replacement in case of damage, access to underground utilities and as somebody else said, no expansion joints to distract from the pattern. When it comes to cost, they are virtually the same.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

NorthMichigan,
Flagstone is by far,, the nicest looking material used. I still try and push flagstone on people. How is the quality of your flagstone there? Our area seems to get the bottom of the barrel anymore. Alot of metals in it. No matter how much sealer you put on it, it still shows rust in a year

Like I said,, everything seems to revolve around having a good sealer on. Just might have to apply once a year, or everyother year.