Register free!

Old 03-29-2005, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

rototilling lawn because of rodent

Hey guys i got a call from a guy and he wants me to rototill a 35 by 35ft square on his lawn where there has been some kind of rodent or bug that has tore up his lawn.So he wants me to rototill the lawn and then just spread this stuff he got for him. Any things i should for this as i am charing him 55 per hour.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Adam,

I'm guessing that the rodents are digging up grubs in the lawn. If so, they'll keep coming back (and digging up the lawn) until the grubs are gone.

What does the customer want you to put down after the roto-tilling?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree Adam. Moles etc will eat grubs and do a good number on the yard looking for them. The key is getting rid of the grubs. Harder to do now since they are grown and close to being mature. The best bets are/were any products that contain diazinon, carbaryl (Sevin) or trichlorfon (Dylox). They will work well when applied in the spring (from March to mid- May). Diazinon is out I belive as of 2 years ago. The others will do the best job. Dont let him buy the crap with either imidacloprid or halfenozide as they will not work well on "mature" grubs. These would have had to be put down in June-Aug 1st. Make sure and water well as this will get it into the soil and down where they are feeding.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by googleplex
Adam,

I'm guessing that the rodents are digging up grubs in the lawn. If so, they'll keep coming back (and digging up the lawn) until the grubs are gone.

What does the customer want you to put down after the roto-tilling?

Yeah I agree as well.
This sounds like kind of an incomplete job to me. I dont know if your area has it or not, but European Chafer beetle is a growing concern. We are expecting it to my are this summer.

Very hard to get rid of, and the secondary damage (rodents hunting them) is absurd!! They can destroy a half acre in a night!!!

I would be really careful how you proceed here man. It seems to me that if the homeowner is paying you for this, and the problem comes back right away, it might look bad on you.

Just a thought,
Let us know how it pans out.

-Reuben
Old 03-30-2005, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey can you guys give me a good product to get rid of these grubs i need help i have the job tomorow and would like to help the guy.thanks
Old 03-30-2005, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam5557
Hey can you guys give me a good product to get rid of these grubs i need help i have the job tomorow and would like to help the guy.thanks

1- Nematodes...
2- Disposal (off site) and replacement of soil.
3- Grind the soil on site.
4- In theory I cannot be an advocate of chemicals (notice the signature) But you should talk to a PRO applicator if you want to go that route.

-Reuben
Old 03-30-2005, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I would be careful if you do not have a pesticide lic. If this guy does not like what you have done and you do not have a lic., all he has to do is report you.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

yeea guys i ended up rototilling ti a few times and raking out the clumps for a total of 6 hours and got $350 and he said he wanted to put his own grub chemicals down himself. In a day or two i am going to lay a little more topsoil for him.