Register free!

Old 03-30-2005, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can charge $55 per yard to spread the mulch then maybe you could find a company that has one of those mulch/bark blower trucks and sub the work out.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a 6 x 10 ton dump trailer that I can put sides on, I can trailer between 7 and 8 yards of mulch fairly easily. Largest mulch job this year has been 12 yards, 15 yards is about my limit for a job before I call in a delivery truck . Putting down mulch is probably my favorite thing to do as far as this goes. Love to see the finished job.

-Geoff
Old 03-30-2005, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

With

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc
I can see that you haven't done any large 10+yrds of mulch. I wish my one ton could haul as much as I need. That would save me right around 2grand a year in delivery fees.
With that 2 gran buy a bigger truck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2005, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McC
Got a call from a woman about two weeks ago, complained about getting my mailer. It took her a lot longer to call me than it would to throw the postcard in the recycling bin. This is a case of someone with WAY too much idle time. I don't worry about people like that. Over, done, moving on. Who has time to worry about people like that? We who are self employed certainly do not.

She probably was lonely and just needed to hear a human voice.

Schwinn tricycle
11" Tonka push mower
Wal Mart Scissors
Old 03-30-2005, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I always lay a large tarp down and have it dumped at the closest point of where it's going...
Old 03-31-2005, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Unless it was a dead end or cul-de-sac, I wouldn't even consider dumping in the road. Maybe you're roads are wider or less populated than mine, but I've never seen it done in my area either.

6 yards or less I usually haul 3 yds at a time in my P/U. Over 6 yds I have delivered, usually to an out of the way area of the driveway or on the lawn next to the drive. Clean-up isn't bad if you have a power broom.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd's lawncare
With that 2 gran buy a bigger truck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes sure. I am willing to spend the 2 grand a year to have it delivered. If it is a large job, I am not wanting to be running and getting mulch. At 50 for delivery of 15 yards I have no problem paying that. It would take me at least an hour more like 1 1/2 -2 round trip to get 10 yards. I can be spending my time placing instead of running to get mulch.
I agree a larger dump would be great. However, with the amount it would get used and having to pay insurance and taxes on, really not worth having around.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I can see that you haven't done any large 10+yrds of mulch. I wish my one ton could haul as much as I need. That would save me right around 2grand a year in delivery fees.
Dosen't your customer pay the delivery fees??
Old 03-31-2005, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Yes sure. I am willing to spend the 2 grand a year to have it delivered. If it is a large job, I am not wanting to be running and getting mulch. At 50 for delivery of 15 yards I have no problem paying that. It would take me at least an hour more like 1 1/2 -2 round trip to get 10 yards. I can be spending my time placing instead of running to get mulch.
I agree a larger dump would be great. However, with the amount it would get used and having to pay insurance and taxes on, really not worth having around.
Get yourself a nice dump trailer then you can get alot more uses out of that than speanding so much on another truck... Or better yet sub it out to a blowing company!!!
Old 03-31-2005, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No friggin way would I ever even consider dumping it in the street...cops will hassle ya and some of it will disappear too.