Register free!

Old 04-01-2005, 05:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Ball Park Price On 20 Yards Of Stone

Hi Gang I'm Pricing A Job , 20 Yards Of Bricks , Install In Beds With 3 Guys & Wheel boughs .I'm going To Take It Easy ,Do It Over 2 Days, $2500 In Crushed Bricks And $1500 In Labor & Profit. What Do You Think
Old 04-01-2005, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

$75 A YARD LABOR sounds ABOUT RIGHT TO ME. QUESTION IS, HOW FAR TO YOU HAVE TO WHEEL THAT HEAVY CRAP? I DON'T THINK IT WILL TAKE YOU TWO DAYS (UNLESS YOU ARE SAYING YOU WILL HIT IT FOR A FEW HOURS THEN MOVE ON TO SOMETHING ELSE AND COME BACK WHEN YOUR BACK IS READY)

Also, is there a way you can avoid the wheel barrrels? If it were me and I couldn't unload from the truck I would go buy a $200 pull trailer from sears and use that to move the material. If you don't want to unload from your truck because you are affraid you will damage the lawn the wheel barrels will do far more damage to the lawn as you will be makeing 100 trips or more with the wheeling, droping brick peices in the grass and matting it down. I did a 130 yard mulch job and had to wheel every bit of it, the lawn didn't recover for 2 months from all the traffic.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's WHEELBARROW, not boughs or barrels.
I'm usually not one to complain about spelling, but in this case, I had to.

http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...&q=wheelbarrow
Old 04-01-2005, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Actually it depends on your location and the lingo in your area. To my knowledge the proper term is a Wheel Barrel. It was invented back in the early A.D years by the Chinese but it was rudimentary, what we know as a wheel barrel today was and improved version of the Chinese invention with the wheel pushed further forward giving the user better control. I have also heard that the reasoning behind the name wheel barrel is that it was basically a that had wheels attached to it.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsylvain
Actually it depends on your location and the lingo in your area. To my knowledge the proper term is a Wheel Barrel. It was invented back in the early A.D years by the Chinese but it was rudimentary, what we know as a wheel barrel today was and improved version of the Chinese invention with the wheel pushed further forward giving the user better control. I have also heard that the reasoning behind the name wheel barrel is that it was basically a that had wheels attached to it.
Well, that is a good explanation of it's mis-pronunciation and mis-spelling.
I'm in the USA, we generally speak English. I'm not sure what dictionary you use in Florida. Please show me, as I am always willing to admit when I am wrong.
If you look at a duck and call it a donkey, it won't stop quacking and start hee-hawing.
From http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dicti...a=wheel+barrel
<<The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search box to the right.

Suggestions for wheel barrel:

1. wheelbarrow
2. wheelbarrowed
3. wearable
4. well-bred
5. warbler
6. warblers
7. wheelbarrows
8. whaleback
9. warbled
10. whalebacks>>>
From http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=wheel+barrel
No entry found for wheel barrel.

Did you mean wheelbarrow?
Suggestions:
wheelbarrow
wine barrel
Wash barrel
Watch barrel
Well bred
well-bred
Wall barley
wall barley
whimbrel

No entry was found in the dictionary. Would you like to search the Web for wheel barrel?>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheelbarrow
http://scholar.chem.nyu.edu/tekpages/wheelbarrow.html
http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi377.htm
Old 04-01-2005, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I suppose you are the kind of jackass that goes to Spain and expects everyone to call it water and that Aqua is spelled wrong and a mispronunciation. I'm sorry you don't understand that once you leave your little hick town in TN, there are other people in the world that don't say things like. Y'all (umm that's not a word) or I gonna tek me a shir when a gist home from cutten dem dare yards. It is also called Tomato not maters and potato not taters. Tires not Tars. Chewing Tobacco not Spitten tebacki, they are lima beans not butter beans, October beans not brown beans, it is an interstate, not a four lane, it's a string trimmer not a weedwacker, a battery not a batry. It's incest, not a fun night out with your cousin.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

On our larger rock jobs back in my landscaping days we used a dingo to load and two power wheelbarrows. We rented these at our local rental shop, saved a ton of time!
Old 04-01-2005, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I suppose you are the kind of jackass that goes to Spain and expects everyone to call it water and that Aqua is spelled wrong and a mispronunciation. I'm sorry you don't understand that once you leave your little hick town in TN, there are other people in the world that don't say things like. Y'all (umm that's not a word) or I gonna tek me a shir when a gist home from cutten dem dare yards. It is also called Tomato not maters and potato not taters. Tires not Tars. Chewing Tobacco not Spitten tebacki, they are lima beans not butter beans, October beans not brown beans, it is an interstate, not a four lane, it's a string trimmer not a weedwacker, a battery not a batry. It's incest, not a fun night out with your cousin.

Nice try, but you aren't intelligent enough to insult me.
I'm actually a quite different kind of jackass.

I apologize, I thought you lived in the USA.
You live in Spain? Oh, well, it's "carretilla" then.
Tell you what, go to Lowe's tomorrow, take a picture of a "wheel barrrel" and it's label, spelled like you did, and I'll admit I was wrong.
For crying out loud, you could have admitted that "wheel barrell" was slang, or colloquialism, and avoided all this BS. Oh, that's right, you live in "Flah-rid-ah."
And I spent the night with your cousin, not mine. Give her my regards, and tell her I said "Duh-huh!" she'll know what you mean.
Crawdad
Old 04-01-2005, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I Never Said You Were Wrong. I Simply Stated That In Different Areas People Call Things Different Names It Doesn't Mean That It Is Wrong. We Were Discussing Stone Priceing And You Came In With Your I'm A Stupid Redneck And Don't Know Anything About Landscaping So I'm Going To Insult The Guy That Is Bidding On A $3000 + Landscaping Job Because I Don't Have A Social Skills To Get Such A Job.

As Far As Inteligents Goes I'll Take My Duel Degrees, 2 Soon To Be 3 Highly Profitable Businesses, And Be Heading To The Bank. I Wonder How Much Lawn Care Can A Guy Do Sitting Infront Of A Computer All Day Long With Nothing To Do But Look Up Definitions A Words. No Wonder You Don't Have Any Credible Input.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I Never Said You Were Wrong. I Simply Stated That In Different Areas People Call Things Different Names It Doesn't Mean That It Is Wrong. We Were Discussing Stone Priceing And You Came In With Your I'm A Stupid Redneck And Don't Know Anything About Landscaping So I'm Going To Insult The Guy That Is Bidding On A $3000 + Landscaping Job Because I Don't Have A Social Skills To Get Such A Job.

As Far As Inteligents Goes I'll Take My Duel Degrees, 2 Soon To Be 3 Highly Profitable Businesses, And Be Heading To The Bank. I Wonder How Much Lawn Care Can A Guy Do Sitting Infront Of A Computer All Day Long With Nothing To Do But Look Up Definitions A Words. No Wonder You Don't Have Any Credible Input.
How do you get a "duel degree?"
Do you deny saying this?
Do you always use caps when you are mad?

Quote:
...... To my knowledge the proper term is a Wheel Barrel. It was invented back in the early A.D years by the Chinese but it was rudimentary, what we know as a wheel barrel today was and improved version of the Chinese invention with the wheel pushed further forward giving the user better control. I have also heard that the reasoning behind the name wheel barrel is that it was basically a that had wheels attached to it.