Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2005, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thinking of starting an irrigation company.

Hey guys. I was wanting to look into starting an irrigation company. I have been doing a lot of new yard installs lately, and find myself constantly calling the irrigation companys for quotes. I just called a company today for 3 quotes for different yards. Here is my question, what would it take to start up an irrigation company, knowing nothing about irrigation. I would be able to start it next spring, so I would have plenty of time to learn over the winter. I know I would have to hire an certified installer, as I would not be onsite during installation and I need someone with some experience. I just need some insight. I am on the outside looking in, and I need to know what it would take. Labor wise...equipment wise.

Thanks guys,
Derek Ringer
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victor nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 04-01-2005, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Go back and search the threads . Lots of info .
Old 04-01-2005, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

your kidding, right?................
Old 04-02-2005, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground Master
your kidding, right?................
LOL, no I really wasn't kidding, but I appreciate all of your help. I will do some searching through the archives....hopefully I will find something there.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victor nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 04-03-2005, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Derek,

A good place to get more than a basic understanding of how to design and install irrigation systems is a set of tutorials by Jess Stryker try www.irrigationtutorials.com

Tom
Old 04-05-2005, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We will be franchising this fall. If you don't get one off and running check with me in the fall. It has a precise business plan to follow. That generates installation and service customers.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone else get tired of guys referring other guys to Jess Strykers tutorial? I don't think it is that informative...but man do I hope other irrigation companies in my two locations are using his tutorial to install systems....yipee. More for me to fix.

Ever read his troubleshooting guides...pathetic.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprinklerGuy
Anyone else get tired of guys referring other guys to Jess Strykers tutorial? I don't think it is that informative...but man do I hope other irrigation companies in my two locations are using his tutorial to install systems....yipee. More for me to fix.

Ever read his troubleshooting guides...pathetic.

Just my opinion.
Could you recommend a book....or any kind of lit. on irrigation systems?

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 04-14-2005, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Steps to get into the Irrigation Business:
1. Have at least 50K in cash
2. Sit down with your wife and tell her that there will be no money coming in for at least 2 years.
3. Learn everything you can about SELLING
4. Work with a GOOD contractor for 7-10 installs
5. Go to every class and read every book available ( start with the Irrigation Association)
6. Be prepared to work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for the first 2 years
7. Dump every dime you make back into the business, for at least 2 years
8. Expand and grow your business only by paying cash for everything or taking on very short term debt.
9. Install every system as if it was going into your own yard. Do a good job for each and every customer so they will give you referals.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
Steps to get into the Irrigation Business:
1. Have at least 50K in cash
2. Sit down with your wife and tell her that there will be no money coming in for at least 2 years.
3. Learn everything you can about SELLING
4. Work with a GOOD contractor for 7-10 installs
5. Go to every class and read every book available ( start with the Irrigation Association)
6. Be prepared to work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for the first 2 years
7. Dump every dime you make back into the business, for at least 2 years
8. Expand and grow your business only by paying cash for everything or taking on very short term debt.
9. Install every system as if it was going into your own yard. Do a good job for each and every customer so they will give you referals.
Thanks those are some good tips! I already am running a landscape business. So I have had to use some of the principals aready. I was more curious about the equipment involved and the manpower needed. I need to do a whole lot more reading!

-Theodore Roosevelt