Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2005, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pass the increase in fuel costs along to your customers.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok maybe this won't work i just thought i would give it a try oh well good thing i just got promoted at work and i'll be getting a company truck to take home everynight as far as my lawn care biz goes i'm charging for the gas increase with taking the company truck home that save me about 150 dollars a month

Every Mule thinks it's load is the heaveist
Old 04-02-2005, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The only way to lower gas prices is to build more refineries, PERIOD. NO other way. If everyone traded in their surburbans for cars getting 25-30mph, people would just drive more. Oil is used for so much more then powering our cars and lawn mowers. Gasoline doesn't even make up that large of a percentage of all oil use. Europe pays 6 bucks a gallon for gas because they goverments tax them 4 bucks a gallon.

Gas prices should be 1.30-140. However, if your going broke because gas is at 2.00 you better take a good look at your budget.

Matt
Old 04-02-2005, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Basic Theory of Econ.

What was proposed is trying to make an Inelastic good (gasoline) elastic. It simply can not be done. The oil companies could surge the prices to $10 bucks a gallon and you would pay it. An inelastic good means that the demand will stay relatively unchanged in comparison to the price of the good.

Finally Congress signed the ANWR Drilling Bill. I knew they built that Alaskan Pipeline for something. Hopefully in the next couple of years, Alaska will be producing a majority of this countries oil, which will result in us becoming less dependant on the Middle Easter countries.

As stated in earlier posts, tighten routes and charge accordingly and you will be fine. If paying $2.50 for gas is enough to make that big of a difference in your bottom line, you arnt charging enough.

Trevor
Old 04-02-2005, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the last time I bought gas was back in Jan, 1500 gallons @ $1.34/gallon I figure it will run out about mid summer, B B B BUT if I find gas below 2 bucks a gallon I will probably top it off before that
Old 04-02-2005, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Give it up! Your not going to do anything about the gas prices, except keep on paying it. Get over it, this is the way it's going to be. Learn to live with it. I remember in the 70's when the price went over 50 cents. We all thought we were going to die. You could actually save 5 cents a gal. if you pumped it your self. You should be more worried about the price you will be paying for food for your kids. Thats the next thing that will be going up in price. After that the price of guns and amo will be so high you wouldn't be able to afford to kill your self. Soon there will be no wild life and people will be eating their pets and then their children and then you. This is why the goverment has all the fast food Co's serving you all that fat. They know what will happen and are trying to fatten you up for the kill. Run for life before it's too late.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

ok can some one tell me when i said that the gas price was going to make me go broke Itell you who it will make go broke though the truckers and you can't tell me differnt because my maine job is involed in the trucking indus and i here from them all the time if fuel prices don't go done they will have shut down they have no say in what they get paid the rates have not changed in years so there for they needed a price increase however the stores tell them how much there going to get paid so if there is an increase everything is going to go up in price

Every Mule thinks it's load is the heaveist
Old 04-02-2005, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by riches139
Something I don't understand.

When gas prices go up, the economy suffers, and the stock market drops.
When the market drops so does the value of the oil companies stock.

So, they make increased proffits on the increased price of fuel, but they loose money on the value of their company.

Am i making any sense?
For the 3rd quarter last year, Exxon/Mobil just posted the highest single quarter profit of any company in US history.

To everyone else, these increases are due to supply, demand, taxes, and oil tycoons yucking it up. The industrializing of China has increased demand and wil continue to do so. That's also what re-opening the Alaskan pipeline is all about. Oil for China, not us. Yeah, you read that right....

I'm thinking of getting ahead of the curve and converting everything I can over to more efficent diesels. Diesel trucks, diesel mowers.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 04-02-2005, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Updog
I totally agree it makes me sick to see all these people driving huge vehicles for no reason. They affect us all. We would do well to stay closer to home and spend our money building our local economies.
ya, i agree.
I need a bigger vehicle for what I do.
But some people don't, and just waste gas.

# 8
Old 04-02-2005, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Business wise, I'm trying to REDUCE my RADIUS of OPERATION this year. Which will reduce my truck mileage & vehicle gas consumption. I have weeded out some of my "outlying" customers & have INCREASED ADVERTISING in my core areas. Increasing DENSITY of customers.

How could we AS AN INDUSTRY MAKE A DIFFERENCE??? Instead of us all driving all over like we do (how many times have you been at a stop light and seen 2 or 3 other LCO's? I have a BUNCH) we should band together (gentlemen's agreement, etc.) and make "HOME TERRITORIES". XYZ company handles all the business in this square mile (or 2 miles or 10 miles), ABC company handles all the business in the next area and so on. That way we would ALL PROFIT. Less traveling and higher customer density = better profit WITHOUT increasing price to customer!

(and don't anyone come back with "monopoly" or collusion defense!)

Mike
6x10 Lone Wolf dump trlr w/lndscp gate
82" Lastec 3682
60" Exmark Lazer
48" & 44" Exmark LazerHPs
44" Toro Z-147
36" Exmark MetroHP WB
34" Encore Z-34
Gator-Rator
JRCO Elec Brdcst Sprdr
Brandlein FIREBALL Grinder
2005 & 2007 Cyclone Rakes