Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2005, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Our employee manual.

9. Personal phones are not to be carried during work hours. Phones must be left at the shop or in the truck.

Tha is rule #9 in our employee manual!!!!
Old 04-02-2005, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm Hispanic and I own a cell phone! I guess I can't work for any of you guys! Oh! I forgot this is America so you can't DISCRIMINATE?? Anyway I got my on business to run!!
Old 04-02-2005, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych-O
I'm Hispanic and I own a cell phone! I guess I can't work for any of you guys! Oh! I forgot this is America so you can't DISCRIMINATE?? Anyway I got my on business to run!!

Look, I apologize if I caused you to be offended. I meant nothing bad about Hispanics. My Grandchildren are Hispanic and very proud of it as am I. I simply meant that I agree that most immigrants have a better work ethic than most of the American youth be they white, hispanic, black, or (me) Native American. Actually, this is the first time this has happened. I don't choose my workers by race. I choose them by willingness to do the work and to follow my directions. I hired this guy because we have known him since he was very little and he needed the work and had done this kind of work before.
Oh, and it was a beautiful day for working but would have been an even more beautiful day for sipping a cold one and watching the Grandson fish. Crap happens I guess.

Schwinn tricycle
11" Tonka push mower
Wal Mart Scissors
Old 04-02-2005, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

That was for lawnandplow42!!!
Old 04-03-2005, 04:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Look guys, the cell phone is not really an issue here. The real problem is the maturity and/or work ethic of the employee. If they don't have what it takes, can them.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with working a man.... hard.

But I think you all need to get off your BossMan High Horse about cell phone rules. The "I own you for 8 hours a day" approach doesn't get you very far with employees, much less low wage seasonal employees. Such rules are unfair and unnessesary. A good employee needs only to be told once to "limit personal cell phone calls." That's all.

You have got to have a lot of gall this day and age to tell your employees what they can and cannot do with their personal communication devices because they are "on YOUR time." It's not like they are in a fixed location, near an incoming telephone line. They are out in the field and I think it is their right to do with their personal communication devices as they see fit, in case of an emergency. That is, unless you would rather have them give out your cell number for emergency calls and commit to being personally responsible for not letting them down.

Good employees are capable of responsible self governing and do not need you to be their dictator in order to be good productive employees. They will honor reasonable rules. As a matter of fact, I'm a firm believer that the best of employees would not bow down to such rules. Many would pass on the job before signing off on over controlling rules, and many of the rest would tell you to take your low paying, hard labor, part time job that guarantees they are laid off for the holidays.... and shove it!

The best of employees are seldom submissive, and that shouldn't be a job requirement.
That rules out the best of self-starters and leaders that you may need to run crews someday.

That's my personal opinion and experience with employees anyways.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 04-03-2005, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service
Look guys, the cell phone is not really an issue here. The real problem is the maturity and/or work ethic of the employee. If they don't have what it takes, can them.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with working a man.... hard.

But I think you all need to get off your BossMan High Horse about cell phone rules. The "I own you for 8 hours a day" approach doesn't get you very far with employees, much less low wage seasonal employees. Such rules are unfair and unnessesary. A good employee needs only to be told once to "limit personal cell phone calls." That's all.

You have got to have a lot of gall this day and age to tell your employees what they can and cannot do with their personal communication devices because they are "on YOUR time." It's not like they are in a fixed location, near an incoming telephone line. They are out in the field and I think it is their right to do with their personal communication devices as they see fit, in case of an emergency. That is, unless you would rather have them give out your cell number for emergency calls and commit to being personally responsible for not letting them down.

Good employees are capable of responsible self governing and do not need you to be their dictator in order to be good productive employees. They will honor reasonable rules. As a matter of fact, I'm a firm believer that the best of employees would not bow down to such rules. Many would pass on the job before signing off on over controlling rules, and many of the rest would tell you to take your low paying, hard labor, part time job that guarantees they are laid off for the holidays.... and shove it!

The best of employees are seldom submissive, and that shouldn't be a job requirement.
That rules out the best of self-starters and leaders that you may need to run crews someday.

That's my personal opinion and experience with employees anyways.
I couldnt agree more. Then you hear people complain, and hear what they pay on top of that.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
That was for lawnandplow42!!!
but would you even want to work for him?
Old 04-03-2005, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
how much you charge?
Old 04-03-2005, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut
how much you charge?
For what??
Old 04-04-2005, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cell phones stay in the truck. Driving between jobs they can use them. No stopping during work to talk with friends or girlfriends.