Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2005, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

A great post, Envy. I may have to include it in it's entirety in my handbook....when I have one. Your future leaders will be naturally fair to others, and the "use the cell-phone and I slash your neck" approach isn't always fair. If they use it too much...

ADVISE
WARN
WARN STERNLY WITH THREAT OF LOSS OF JOB
ADIOS
Old 04-04-2005, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proenterprises
Does anyone include a policy about cell phones in employee handbooks? It seems that it should be stated. I would state that cell phones should be turned off and stowed either in the employees bag, not in their pocket. Lunchtime is okay, but otherwise, work, not talk.
A good question is how many LCO's actually have an employee handbook. It's much easier to fire someone when you have it written down and they sign off that they read and understand it. Anyone have one they'd like to post?
Old 04-04-2005, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess I'll be naive here and ask a stupid question: If an employee is wearing ear protection and operating small engine equipment, how does he even hear a cell phone ring? I know I can't so mine stays in the truck and I check for messages after each job.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65hoss
Cell phones stay in the truck. Driving between jobs they can use them. No stopping during work to talk with friends or girlfriends.
That all depends on if she has a hot friend!
Old 04-04-2005, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service
Look guys, the cell phone is not really an issue here. The real problem is the maturity and/or work ethic of the employee. If they don't have what it takes, can them.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with working a man.... hard.

But I think you all need to get off your BossMan High Horse about cell phone rules. The "I own you for 8 hours a day" approach doesn't get you very far with employees, much less low wage seasonal employees. Such rules are unfair and unnessesary. A good employee needs only to be told once to "limit personal cell phone calls." That's all.

You have got to have a lot of gall this day and age to tell your employees what they can and cannot do with their personal communication devices because they are "on YOUR time." It's not like they are in a fixed location, near an incoming telephone line. They are out in the field and I think it is their right to do with their personal communication devices as they see fit, in case of an emergency. That is, unless you would rather have them give out your cell number for emergency calls and commit to being personally responsible for not letting them down.

Good employees are capable of responsible self governing and do not need you to be their dictator in order to be good productive employees. They will honor reasonable rules. As a matter of fact, I'm a firm believer that the best of employees would not bow down to such rules. Many would pass on the job before signing off on over controlling rules, and many of the rest would tell you to take your low paying, hard labor, part time job that guarantees they are laid off for the holidays.... and shove it!

The best of employees are seldom submissive, and that shouldn't be a job requirement.
That rules out the best of self-starters and leaders that you may need to run crews someday.

That's my personal opinion and experience with employees anyways.
You said it best !!!
Old 04-04-2005, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Carothers
That all depends on if she has a hot friend!
git r' done!!

# 8
Old 04-04-2005, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

no phones on my time, PERIOD! or you will get to use it to call a cab
Old 04-11-2005, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloMow
I guess I'll be naive here and ask a stupid question: If an employee is wearing ear protection and operating small engine equipment, how does he even hear a cell phone ring? I know I can't so mine stays in the truck and I check for messages after each job.
put it on vibrate
Old 04-12-2005, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree I quit a job because I couldn't have access to my phone, when you have a family you need to be able to be reached. That does mean to say lollygag. They know when it is appropriate. Also I look for whoever is going to work. [QUOTE=Envy Lawn Service]Look guys, the cell phone is not really an issue here. The real problem is the maturity and/or work ethic of the employee. If they don't have what it takes, can them.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with working a man.... hard.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Has nothing to do with the cell phone. It has to do with work ethic. Sort of like getting a call when your busy, a simple "I'll call you back" is all it takes.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>