Register free!

Old 04-04-2005, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need Advice

I HAVE A ? FOR YOU ALL, I HAVE THIS LADY THAT WANTED A PRICE ON MULCHING AROUND HER DWELLING. SHE WAS REFURED BY A REG. CUSTOMER OF MINE. I SENT HER A QUOTE OF HOW MUCH IT WOULD COST A WEEK AGO. SHE CALLS THE OFFICE TODAY AND TELLS THE WIFE FOR ME TO CALL HER RIGHT AWAY, BECAUSE SHE ?'S FOR ME. I GET IN TODAY AROUND 7PM AND CALL HER SHE SAY'S, WHATS THE BEST PRICE I CAN DO, BECAUSE SHE HAS 2 OTHER QUOTES FROM OTHER CONTRACTORS. I TOLD HER THATS THE PRICE. THEN SHE SAYS WELL CAN YOU DO IT IN 2 WEEK FROM TODAY, RESON WHY SHE IS GOING ON VAC. AND SHE STATED SHE WANTS TO BE THERE WHEN WE DO IT BASICLY SHE SAID SHE WANTS TO SUPERVISE THE JOB. I TOLD HER I HAVE TO CHECK THE BOOK. I ALREADY HAVE 11 MULCH JOBS BOOKED ALREADY WITH DEP. ON ALL OF THEM... WHAT WOULD U DO, TAKE IT OR TELL HER CANT DO UNTIL MAY?????

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:
Old 04-04-2005, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's some advice, loose the CAPS!!!!!
Old 04-04-2005, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell her that you will put her down for the next availible date. Otherwise she can call one of the other two bidders and let them deal with her. Why did she ask what your lowest price was, and then accept the one you already gave her? Sounds like she was fishing for sure. Could be a PITA in the making.

BTW, easy on the CAPITAL LETTERS.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Tell her that waiting till she gets back from vacation is fine, but, we can get to it around this date (fill in the blank) weather permitting.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry about the caps im not used to the computer thimg, hey it took me 20 min to type the statement. Thank GOD my wife does all the bills i would be forever. But yes she sounds like a PITA. AS im typing this her husband just left a message and would like to discuss about the mulch.

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:
Old 04-04-2005, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would tell her that "my company doesn't operate that way, and that I supervise the jobs." just give her a window say mon-thurs and just show up when it's convenient. If shes there don't let her get too bossy.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Say we can put you in the rotation and your day will be on such and such a day. If that is not acceptable find one that is that works with your schedule. Certainly don't move other contracted customers around to accomodate someone who is fishing.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree,but alot of customers like to be there when the work is done,I dont blame them a bit.They might think they are supervizing but they are just making sure they get what they are paying for.If they try and interfere I just nicely remind them that that is what they hired me for and they are going to have to trust me,and if they have any problems when job is complete to just let me know.I would not bid a job over the phone period without looking at it 1st.That's bad practice and can get you into trouble and loose you $.If they want my services and I am booked,I tell them when I can do them and not untell then so if they want me they will have to be put on a list and I have so and so many ahead of them and that's just the way the ball bounces.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Tell her you have 2 different prices. A low price if you supervise and a much higher one if she does. If you have 11 other jobs waiting I think you know what you are doing and you also know you don't need to deal with PITAS. I owned a moving biz in OH for 18 yrs and LCO in FL now for 5 and if a customer starts weird, they never stop.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just ask her to call you when she returns from vacaton and you will look at the schedule,and make the appointment as soon as the schedule will allow it.

I tell all of my bids that they are not on the schedule unless they have made the down payment,at that time I will schedule them.

I would not let her dictate your schedule.

Double check your estimate!