Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2005, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How to do new yard ?

Got a guy who wants his yard tilled and new seed . whats the best seed to use and what do you cover it whit . And do you use and chemicals ?
and what will make it grow so fast i cant cut it enough ?
Old 04-04-2005, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I could tell you but it took me 4 years to get my Bachelors and thats included in my education...so if you bear with me and you have that much time...at the end of my dissertaion in 4 years you too will know...

Here goes................................................................................................ .................................Seed..........In Pennsylvania I suggest a mix with no more than 15% Perrennial Rye. Your mix will depend on the general conditions of the yard, sunny, shady, wet,dry, I don't know you haven't told us much about the site..

Chemicals...your not licensed so don't bother.....Hire someone who is.

Grow like stink...........yes ;alksdfj oaiejroniuepor8iuapwieuhrpociyrociesurcihrjoaiuyewrpoiuwceiopu
Old 04-04-2005, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What Sodking said!!!! Do a search!!!! Its been beat to death.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SodKing
Well I could tell you but it took me 4 years to get my Bachelors and thats included in my education...so if you bear with me and you have that much time...at the end of my dissertaion in 4 years you too will know...

Here goes................................................................................................ .................................Seed..........In Pennsylvania I suggest a mix with no more than 15% Perrennial Rye. Your mix will depend on the general conditions of the yard, sunny, shady, wet,dry, I don't know you haven't told us much about the site..

Chemicals...your not licensed so don't bother.....Hire someone who is.

Grow like stink...........yes ;alksdfj oaiejroniuepor8iuapwieuhrpociyrociesurcihrjoaiuyewrpoiuwceiopu
I asked about chemicals so if it does need them i can sub it out.
and when it is sunny it gets full sun and out of the past 10 days its rained 6 of them so you could say its wet. The ground seem to be good dirt but who knows whats under it could be caol ash theres alot around here . and what to cover it with hay ? And should i mix good top soil in when i till ?
Old 04-04-2005, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you should sub the whole job out. well since you seem to want the easy answer here it is...(other then using the search feature in this site.)... SEED: buy whatever homedepot is selling the most of. Fertilizer: stay away from anything with crabgrass (or any other pesticide) in the mix. Covering: Hay (sure you will get a boatload of weeds doing this but since you have'nt heard of PENN Mulch, developed by Penn State we won't go there) Add water...voila grass.

as the previous poster said...USE THE SEARCH FEATURE.

Clearly, you are in over your head and "On the Job Training" won't cut it here, you should think about subcontracting.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would strongly suggest waiting till fall to seed this lawn. In full sun you are just preparing the ground for weeds. If you wont a list on how to ill give it to you.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd's lawncare
I asked about chemicals so if it does need them i can sub it out.
and when it is sunny it gets full sun and out of the past 10 days its rained 6 of them so you could say its wet. The ground seem to be good dirt but who knows whats under it could be caol ash theres alot around here . and what to cover it with hay ? And should i mix good top soil in when i till ?
Man Fuggalldatcrap, you get complicated with this you'll waste tons of time and money... But I will say that it's kinda like cooking: What works for one person may or may not work for you, and likely you'll want to develop your own recipe over the years.

But here's my own Simple and stupid so even I can do it instrucs:
Aerate and plop down 25lbs of Ky31 per every 5-8k sq. feet, 50lbs for 8-15k sq. feet. I always buy 50lb bags, 45 bucks/each. If I need 25lbs, half-bag.
Half or full, that's the only question.
No chems, no straw, no soil, no sprinkly-winkly bs. Aerate and spread a TON of Ky31, works everytime.
Keep in mind, Ky31 = Tall Fescue.
Sayonara.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just install some AstroTurf...It's always green, the customer might not realize its not real grass and still pay to have it mowed weekly...it's a darn good solution.

Seriously though, when it's something you really have no experience with, its better to pass it on or sub to someone else.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
Man Fuggalldatcrap, you get complicated with this you'll waste tons of time and money... But I will say that it's kinda like cooking: What works for one person may or may not work for you, and likely you'll want to develop your own recipe over the years.

But here's my own Simple and stupid so even I can do it instrucs:
Aerate and plop down 25lbs of Ky31 per every 5-8k sq. feet, 50lbs for 8-15k sq. feet. I always buy 50lb bags, 45 bucks/each. If I need 25lbs, half-bag.
Half or full, that's the only question.
No chems, no straw, no soil, no sprinkly-winkly bs. Aerate and spread a TON of Ky31, works everytime.
Keep in mind, Ky31 = Tall Fescue.
Sayonara.
Topsites ...you don't bother to prep the soil before seeding a new lawn??No amending?no tilling?No grade raking ?No removing debri?No rolling ?No topper?That's really sad and too bad.IMAO
Old 04-04-2005, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

'cmon dude hes the hoodie of lawn care...he's too cool fo dat chit..