Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Todd's lawncare Todd's lawncare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: P.A
Posts: 548
How to do new yard ?

Got a guy who wants his yard tilled and new seed . whats the best seed to use and what do you cover it whit . And do you use and chemicals ?
and what will make it grow so fast i cant cut it enough ?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-04-2005, 09:31 PM
SodKing's Avatar
SodKing SodKing is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,662
Well I could tell you but it took me 4 years to get my Bachelors and thats included in my education...so if you bear with me and you have that much time...at the end of my dissertaion in 4 years you too will know...

Here goes................................................................................................ .................................Seed..........In Pennsylvania I suggest a mix with no more than 15% Perrennial Rye. Your mix will depend on the general conditions of the yard, sunny, shady, wet,dry, I don't know you haven't told us much about the site..

Chemicals...your not licensed so don't bother.....Hire someone who is.

Grow like stink...........yes ;alksdfj oaiejroniuepor8iuapwieuhrpociyrociesurcihrjoaiuyewrpoiuwceiopu
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-04-2005, 09:40 PM
LB Landscaping's Avatar
LB Landscaping LB Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,310
What Sodking said!!!! Do a search!!!! Its been beat to death.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Todd's lawncare Todd's lawncare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: P.A
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodKing
Well I could tell you but it took me 4 years to get my Bachelors and thats included in my education...so if you bear with me and you have that much time...at the end of my dissertaion in 4 years you too will know...

Here goes................................................................................................ .................................Seed..........In Pennsylvania I suggest a mix with no more than 15% Perrennial Rye. Your mix will depend on the general conditions of the yard, sunny, shady, wet,dry, I don't know you haven't told us much about the site..

Chemicals...your not licensed so don't bother.....Hire someone who is.

Grow like stink...........yes ;alksdfj oaiejroniuepor8iuapwieuhrpociyrociesurcihrjoaiuyewrpoiuwceiopu
I asked about chemicals so if it does need them i can sub it out.
and when it is sunny it gets full sun and out of the past 10 days its rained 6 of them so you could say its wet. The ground seem to be good dirt but who knows whats under it could be caol ash theres alot around here . and what to cover it with hay ? And should i mix good top soil in when i till ?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-04-2005, 11:06 PM
SodKing's Avatar
SodKing SodKing is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,662
I think you should sub the whole job out. well since you seem to want the easy answer here it is...(other then using the search feature in this site.)... SEED: buy whatever homedepot is selling the most of. Fertilizer: stay away from anything with crabgrass (or any other pesticide) in the mix. Covering: Hay (sure you will get a boatload of weeds doing this but since you have'nt heard of PENN Mulch, developed by Penn State we won't go there) Add water...voila grass.

as the previous poster said...USE THE SEARCH FEATURE.

Clearly, you are in over your head and "On the Job Training" won't cut it here, you should think about subcontracting.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-04-2005, 11:14 PM
hole in one lco's Avatar
hole in one lco hole in one lco is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: rocky river ohio
Posts: 1,797
I would strongly suggest waiting till fall to seed this lawn. In full sun you are just preparing the ground for weeds. If you wont a list on how to ill give it to you.
__________________
I WORK HARD SO YOU DONT HAVE TO
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-04-2005, 11:30 PM
topsites topsites is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond Virginia
Posts: 21,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd's lawncare
I asked about chemicals so if it does need them i can sub it out.
and when it is sunny it gets full sun and out of the past 10 days its rained 6 of them so you could say its wet. The ground seem to be good dirt but who knows whats under it could be caol ash theres alot around here . and what to cover it with hay ? And should i mix good top soil in when i till ?
Man Fuggalldatcrap, you get complicated with this you'll waste tons of time and money... But I will say that it's kinda like cooking: What works for one person may or may not work for you, and likely you'll want to develop your own recipe over the years.

But here's my own Simple and stupid so even I can do it instrucs:
Aerate and plop down 25lbs of Ky31 per every 5-8k sq. feet, 50lbs for 8-15k sq. feet. I always buy 50lb bags, 45 bucks/each. If I need 25lbs, half-bag.
Half or full, that's the only question.
...
No chems, no straw, no soil, no sprinkly-winkly bs. Aerate and spread a TON of Ky31, works everytime.
Keep in mind, Ky31 = Tall Fescue.
Sayonara.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-04-2005, 11:36 PM
HOOLIE's Avatar
HOOLIE HOOLIE is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,986
Just install some AstroTurf...It's always green, the customer might not realize its not real grass and still pay to have it mowed weekly...it's a darn good solution.

Seriously though, when it's something you really have no experience with, its better to pass it on or sub to someone else.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-04-2005, 11:42 PM
sheshovel's Avatar
sheshovel sheshovel is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: zone 7 CA
Posts: 5,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
Man Fuggalldatcrap, you get complicated with this you'll waste tons of time and money... But I will say that it's kinda like cooking: What works for one person may or may not work for you, and likely you'll want to develop your own recipe over the years.

But here's my own Simple and stupid so even I can do it instrucs:
Aerate and plop down 25lbs of Ky31 per every 5-8k sq. feet, 50lbs for 8-15k sq. feet. I always buy 50lb bags, 45 bucks/each. If I need 25lbs, half-bag.
Half or full, that's the only question.
...
No chems, no straw, no soil, no sprinkly-winkly bs. Aerate and spread a TON of Ky31, works everytime.
Keep in mind, Ky31 = Tall Fescue.
Sayonara.
Topsites ...you don't bother to prep the soil before seeding a new lawn??No amending?no tilling?No grade raking ?No removing debri?No rolling ?No topper?That's really sad and too bad.IMAO
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-04-2005, 11:46 PM
SodKing's Avatar
SodKing SodKing is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,662
'cmon dude hes the hoodie of lawn care...he's too cool fo dat chit..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:16 AM.

Page generated in 0.10430 seconds with 7 queries