Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-27-2013, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bush Hogging advertising

I've read a few posts on here about this, but didn't get any real good suggestions. These posts were older as well and might not apply to today's market. So here's my situation: I have a compact tractor ~20hp and I bought a 5' brush cutter last month. I did one big job a few weeks ago which was why I purchased the cutter. I'm very impressed with the little setup I have but I need more work for it.

Thing have already dried up here with weekly mowing. I skipped ~70% of my weekly accounts this week and there's no sign of rain anytime soon. Last year, I didn't mow at all during July. I need to have some revenue coming in during the dry spells and bush hogging is a perfect fit for me.

The other posts I read mainly dealt with getting hooked up with some developers and cutting vacant lots. That's not a viable option where I'm at. In the last few years, the local developers liquidated most of their lots. So I think I need to target property owners that don't have the means or equipment to cut overgrown tracts.

I'm running a 7 day classified ad in the local paper starting tomorrow and I have a half dozen yard signs for brush & field mowing ordered. Any other ideas on how to market this service? Weekly mowing is my bread and butter so I'm planning to treat brush mowing as "extra" income, just like I view snow removal. If I get it, great. If not, well I'm not dependent on it. I my company is part time anyhow but I love to brush hog. it's fun and gives a change of pace from the weekly mowing route. So now that I have the equipment, I want to get some good use out of it and hopefully put a few bucks in my pocket. My neighbor suggested calling the local townships to get their "hit list" of properties with overgrown weeds and brush. Most townships around here have some type of ordinance regarding high weeds, but I'm thinking the township idea won't produce much, if anything.

Any ideas?
Old 06-27-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Advertise yourself to other lawn care services as well. I know a lot of guys that's sub out this service because they don't carry the equipment.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ah very good idea. I might give that a shot. Thanks bud