Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2005, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

edging with trimmers?

im new to this and im not going to have the money to buy a gas edger for a while. how well can a edge with my trimmers and do you have any advice?
Old 04-05-2005, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is a reason it's called a trimmer and not an edger. I know a guy that hit a rock while edging, it hit him in the eye and now he only has one left.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipguy
I know a guy that hit a rock while edging, it hit him in the eye and now he only has one left.
What does that have to do with anything? It was a freak accident, nothing more. He should have been wearing eye protection. Do a search on here and you'll see posts about people hitting rocks and other things with their mowers and breaking windows. I doubt they're going to stop using their mowers and switch to scissors.

As for the original question, you can maintain an already established edge with a string trimmer (preferably with an Edgit attached to it), but doing edging with a string trimmer alone is going to leave an unsatisfactory looking result.

Last edited by The C Man; 04-05-2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree w/ above Save your money and buy an edger it looks 100 % better
Old 04-06-2005, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I guess this is on-topic since you're talking about edging, rocks, and trimmers.

I was edging a front walk one. I heard my customer (who was standing in her driveway) shouting. I Shut it down, turned around, and the rear side window of her mini-van had disentegrated. In the back seat, along with a pile of safety glass, was a rock that the edger had picked up.

For $80 I got a window from a junk-yard and made everybody happy. She was pretty cool about it. It was almost funny (except that it could have been someones head).

Trimmers suck for edging unless you've got a bulk supply of trimming line. Probably good enough for doing your own house, but I can't see using it for a customer.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Driveways really do look better if you use an edger. See if you can find a used one at a pawn shop or a dealer that may have one laying around. The push behind kind like mclane or other brands are really kind of hard to do any damage to, so you should be safe with a used one. If you really can't afford one right now, do the best you can with you trimmer.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Accidents are going to happen, no doubt about it. That is why it is benificial to have insurance.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Put an EDGIT on your trimmer. www.edgit.com

it will guide your trimmer along the edge. Follow the directions and you can make a nice edge wiht a trimmer and you can trim wiht it too.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

We have a dedicated edger but there are times when it's not practical to be lugging it around with us thus we use our trimmers,do they do as good of a job ,very rarely but will they do the job ,sure they will . Take your time to do a good job and when you get the money get one .

ajmctree
Old 04-11-2005, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Or you could just practice and get good at your craft. My edges with a sring trimmer look as good as ones done with an edger. Of course, for that first time nothing works as well as a nice handheld edger.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." - James Madison