Register free!

Old 04-06-2005, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A/C unit

Got an estimate to give. Residential house with A/C unit on a slope. theres a garden anchor wall there now 10 feet away 3 or 4 feet down that needs replacing. The soil beneath the A/C has eroded away from almost half of the unit. So What I'm going to do is fill in the area with aggreget compact in lifts redo the wall and all that good stuff. The question is How do I go about detaching the A/C unit. Should I find a contractor to do it or attemt it myself or try moving it a foot and filling hole and moving it back a foot and filling hole? Anyone do something like that. Ill probbly get pics tomorow.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

First thing I would do is get on line to find out how to install a/c units. I'm sure the info. is somewhere. If you think you can handle it, great. As far as moving it, without disconnecting, you'd have to check how much slack is in all the lines. How about lifting it just enough to get it off the surface, support it and fill underneath. Then pull the supports out. I do punch-out sub-contracting for a production builder. If I see our HVAC guys tomorrow, I'll see what he says......
Old 04-06-2005, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassyfras
Got an estimate to give. Residential house with A/C unit on a slope. theres a garden anchor wall there now 10 feet away 3 or 4 feet down that needs replacing. The soil beneath the A/C has eroded away from almost half of the unit. So What I'm going to do is fill in the area with aggreget compact in lifts redo the wall and all that good stuff. The question is How do I go about detaching the A/C unit. Should I find a contractor to do it or attemt it myself or try moving it a foot and filling hole and moving it back a foot and filling hole? Anyone do something like that. Ill probbly get pics tomorow.

Get a contractor it the best way to do that if you get that R134 to leak you got a hazard spill and you are going to get fined by the city that your in. You could end up replacing the Whole Ac unit. which could cost you 5,000- 10,000 grand I would get some local HAC guy that you know and find out what he going to charge you to disconnect it then move it for a day then come back to hook it up. Make sure you have his bid done first before you bid filling in the hole. I would suggest to the homeowner to have a concrete slab poured also on top of your reapair work. before the Ac unit is put back make sure it is at least 3-4 in thick.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I took your advice and got a bid for around 300 from a friend who does A/C work.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ala correction, R22 is used in Home HVAC systems not 134A