Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2005, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Flushing a line solo , new tool

It seems that the head that clogs , is always the furthest from the controller . I was dealing with that last week solo , and then I thought it would be great if I had a remote to turn off the water from a distance.

I just found a great use for a remote rain switch , a couple of alligator clips later , and a thick rubber band and I can turn off the sprinkler from almost any point in the yard. Clips for the power leads and to break the common , the rubber band is to hold the remote switch down so I can use both hands .
Old 04-07-2005, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Now that is one of the better tips we have seen around here in a while. Good thinking. Way to think outside the (valve) box!!!
Old 04-07-2005, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice! Very nice!

More Snow Sunday Dana...heh heh.

Go CC....!
Old 04-07-2005, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How about it just snows at your house Tony. Oh well, it's helpmg the water situation. And yeah, Go CC Tigers!! My day ends at 11:00 today to go watch the hockey game. Want to join us?
Old 04-10-2005, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nice, one of the cheapest remote retrofit options I've heard. Depending on how often you like using a remote, you get the same distance from a low end remote conected to a spare controller using clips to tie your controller in parallel. I have a company here that I used to work for and am now competition that installs a special plug copying all wires to an outside port that they can then hook up to for remote operations. This means the customer doesn't have to be home and it works with almost all existing controllers. The only exception I know of is the mechanical RB's. Using this method, you can use an inexpensive controller with a remote like the orbit remotes or an irritrol, toro, or hunter controller w/ remote. Plus to using a Hunter is you can switch the remote to the long range remote and get over half a mile from it and the remote sells for under $500.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

All of our customers we installed are set up on the ICR system. Eliminates the need for 2 on some commercial service calls and during winterizations it is priceless.