Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2005, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Being in biz automatically exposes us to stuff exactly like that, I have had more than my share already this yr and in fact just fired a particularly angry old lady customer who wasnt worth my time. (Terribly sorry due to scheduling i will be unable to yadda yadda)

Also, I just started selling in a subdivision with very small lawns at @25.00 per cut when there is already someone working the area for $15.00. Surprise surprise he does a bad job. I expect to do well in that area as people get to know me.

With a call like that remember that every minute you think about it you give power to a dipspit. You are right, It is funny and thier message should be laughed off.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldnt spit across a street for 15 bucks
Old 04-07-2005, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUSWEDE
I always find it funny when people throw flyers on my door or in my mailbox when my truck is there all lettered up and my equipment is always around, I just laugh and say what do they think I am too busy to do my own that I would pay them. Cheesy flyers too, makes me feel better about my company!

I kind of suspected he might of been an LCO who lived the area just trying to scare me off. But I thought nah, thats to low. If it was an LCO he's not going to like seeing me there tomorrow. Got another one today. That make three in his neighborhood.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadA
Today I was doing some work for this lady my wife works with. Nothing major, just a bed clean up and a few other small jobs. I already have on one on that street so my wife said she would hand out some flyers while I worked. Well she did and when we got home there was a message on my machine that went like this.
" I don't know whoooo you think you are, advertising on my street with these prices. $30 a cut is waaaaaaay to high when we have guys offering to do it for $15 a cut. Maybe when you get more competitive you can come back and try again with your silly little flyer."
I almost died laughing. My wife wanted me to call him back a cuss him out. I thought it was hillarious. I'm keeping that one. Anyone else ever get any good messages like this.
Whats funny is I signed up two people on that street today and my wife only handed out 45 flyers.

I put some flyers out once and I had a message on my machine that went like this ,(If you are trying to drum up new business I suggest that you do it some other way than using tape on the mail boxes I just put up a new box and the tape pulled off the paint and i am furious) I dont put out flyers any more I advertise in the yellow pages
Old 04-07-2005, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i doubt this guy does a good job, but if he does he would make a great subcontracter!!lol u would probably end up with more money than doin it urself
Old 04-07-2005, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did an estimate a few days ago about someone wanting roughly 2 yards of mulch picked up and hauled off the property, and they were going to put in new mulch. Called them back and gave them the price of $75.00. She said ok and told me just to leave the check in the mailbox. I'm like you mean the invoice? She's quiet then says, well your going to use the mulch on other jobs right? I said I might but probably not. She goes on to tell me that they arent just going to give away mulch for free. Good luck selling wood chips (wasnt even nice mulch) to any lawn or landscape companies. Lol told her I wasnt interested.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather
I seriously would not get off my couch for 15 bucks...period
ya mow for $15 but charge a $20 stop fee

------------
Frontier Lawn's Website
-----------

http://www.givemeliberty.org/
Old 04-07-2005, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
I wouldnt either but I have been told and read on here before the Fla yards go on average for 15 to 20$ per cut. I wouldnt even get off the sofa for 30$
Wow, he copied the same reply as Rodfather...Original

I have had customers call and ask if i would match prices...Nope not happening

trevor
Old 04-07-2005, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't do anything under 30 new rule thats it bottom line don't like well that is one less yard and the sooner I go home.

Details make money!
Old 04-07-2005, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Monday this week I had 2 mexican fellows come up to me, One said he was going to get all my customers. The other one said that he handed out 1000 flyers and he received 500 calls. Who cares I told him. The bad part about this I pick up 10 of their old customers.And I didn't even hand out any flyers.

Kory Landscaping