Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2005, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Does anyone buy wholesale gas/have gas delivered to your own storage tank?

Does anyone buy thier gas from a wholesaler?

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the price of the storage tank and what the regulations are. At these gas prices it might pay for itself.

I'm thinking of the kind of deal most farmers and golf course grounds maintenace buildings have, a 250 gal or so tank (i'm guessing at the size, they may be smaller or bigger)that is up on a 8 foot or so frame. The local farm bureau (or other wholesaler) comes by once in a while to fill it up. Thier prices are usually cheaper.

Anyone tried this??
Old 04-07-2005, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think you'll save any money. The bulk agents around here charge as much as it costs at the pump.(I checked into it a couple years ago).
Old 04-07-2005, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

we are considering trying it, still trying to find out more info.....I know it saves money in the long run-just don't know how much
Old 04-07-2005, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The companies I have dealt with provide tanks and wave a rental fee if you use a certain volume. Some will let you keep the tanks if you use their service for a period of time and maintain a certain volume usage. Is it cheaper... not really. Is it convinient? You bet. I like to use a fuel stabilizer in all my machines that is also an upper cylinder lubricant with fuel efficientcy boost, ie. cetane boost for my diesel. I also mix an anti-gel in the diesels, and having the bulk tanks makes treating your fuel very easy indeed. I also get to fuel up all my stuff at home, and mix the 2 stroke stuff while I talk to my little girls. Parking is always easy, and no fighting for pumps or waiting for the only diesel pump at the station either.

They are worth it to me, not in money savings, but for convinience.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” - Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-07-2005, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know about cheaper but they look like they would be convienent. I'm getting a shop either this year or next and that will be one of the first things I get.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Put a tank on your property for refuling = EPA/EPD on your ass big time!!
Old 04-08-2005, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

the actual fuel might not be cheaper, but imagine the convenience of never having to pull your rigs through a gas station, especially if you have people working for you, much more liability havign them fill up at a station than at the shop. saves time too
Old 04-08-2005, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Actually, if you check your local state laws, another thing that you can do here in Minnesota, is you can receive a refund on the road tax you pay on gasoline and diesel for your off road use.

The gas you use for trimmers, mowers, blowers, all of that.

If you had a tank and your place, one of two things.

1) The reason that farmers get it cheaper is most will be using diesel, so they're getting off-road diesel that's dyed red, so you're not able to use it in your truck on-road.

I have been stopped by the DOT here in MN before, and had a clear straw stuck in my fuel tank to make sure I did not have dyed diesel in my truck.

If you have off-road diesel, it's sold to you without the taxes tacked on, therefore "cheaper"

2) If you had your gas hauled to your place, or even if you had a fuel tank placed in the back of your truck, and only filled the mowers out of that, you could have a very easy time keeping track of the gallons used in your mowers, therefore getting a refund on the taxes that you spent for "off-road" use.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Brook
The companies I have dealt with provide tanks and wave a rental fee if you use a certain volume. Some will let you keep the tanks if you use their service for a period of time and maintain a certain volume usage. Is it cheaper... not really. Is it convinient? You bet. I like to use a fuel stabilizer in all my machines that is also an upper cylinder lubricant with fuel efficientcy boost, ie. cetane boost for my diesel. I also mix an anti-gel in the diesels, and having the bulk tanks makes treating your fuel very easy indeed. I also get to fuel up all my stuff at home, and mix the 2 stroke stuff while I talk to my little girls. Parking is always easy, and no fighting for pumps or waiting for the only diesel pump at the station either.

They are worth it to me, not in money savings, but for convinience.
Can't agree more. I've had my tanks for over 20 yrs now and would never go back to the station to have to fill up. And yes the savings can be substantial if your running diesel machines, over 50 cents a gallon cheaper for off road use
Old 04-08-2005, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1500 gallon above ground tank that was given to me from the local Shell when they had some new 3000 gallon tanks put in for race fuel, I had it filled in Jan and now it is almost empty, about 300 gallons left.. I used to have a 250 gallon fuel oil tank for fuel but between me and 2 other small LCO's taking fuel from it it had to be filled once a week