Register free!

Old 04-07-2005, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wall lights well below grade

We are installing a 5' tall wall and I want the lights to be at the 3' mark. What is the best way to install the wiring without having to dig the whole wall up if there is a connection problem later? Should I splice a piece of wire to the fixture and bring it up to grade? Any input would be appreciated. And by the way, what should I charge for this? JK!

Chris
Old 04-09-2005, 02:33 AM
LawnSite Member

i would run the wire under the capstone lip paint it and it wont be visable to anybody who wasnt staring at it. or maybe i have no idea what you are talkin bout
Old 04-09-2005, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Member

plus if it is installed correctly which i know you will do the wire should last 20 years a lot of older houses dont meet current codes but their wiring is working just fine
Old 04-09-2005, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I never had a situation like this before. Normally my light is on the top block of my wall, but these lights are a good 2 feet below grade and the wires on the fixtures are not even close to that length. Do I splice with a water tight connector? Or is there no way around having to dig out if there is a problem?
Thanks for the help.

Chris
Old 04-09-2005, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Chris
I was thinking the same about splicing a piece of wire and bringing it to grade but then realized you would be doubling the amount of connections thus creating more of a chance of something failing. What is the fixture like? Can you remove the face of it from the front of the wall to access the connections there at the fixture itself? If so those connections would be easy to check if you encountered a problem. If that's the case I might consider bringing the lines to grade in a vertical conduit or a 4" pipe of some sort, that way you can always easily pull out or install a new wire without digging. You could just cap the pipe and drill a small hole in it to allow for the wire, that way the pipe would not fill with soil or any fill when you bury it. Your main lines would just be buried behind the wall in the top few inches of soil. What if you put an elbow at the bottom side of the pipe that went right to the back of the fixture?
Sorry if that all sounds confusing, I was just typing as I was thinking. And we always atleast use the wire nuts that have the, what is it, silicone or grease inside them.
Let me know your solution in the end, I'm curious as to how you'll solve this
Good Luck!!!
Mark