Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-08-2005, 02:57 AM
LawnSite Member

economy or what???

Well it happened. Been in the part time business for 5 years and have never had to go looking for accounts they always found me. So this year I figure the same....wrong. Of 13 accounts two cant afford me anymore, one got laid off and is mowing with his craftsman that hasnt been started in two years, and I got lowballed by 25 bucks on an commercial that I've gotten for the last three years. The first three dont bother me so much cuz I know what hard times are like but the last one got me thinking on an account I was bidding at 125 someone actually wanted it bad enough to go to 100. This amazed me but what do you do or say, oh well. So hows it going for the rest of you?
Old 04-08-2005, 04:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeh they all got problems with $40+ 1/4 acres, $70+ 1/2 acres and $130+ full acres around here (loaded with obstacles or grades).

They'd "love" us if we saved reg gas costs by replacing our mowers for diesel mowers instead - that sunk into their juicy turf because of the added weight factor of most diesels.

rotflol
Old 04-08-2005, 05:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMM
Yeh they all got problems with $40+ 1/4 acres, $70+ 1/2 acres and $130+ full acres around here (loaded with obstacles or grades).

They'd "love" us if we saved reg gas costs by replacing our mowers for diesel mowers instead - that sunk into their juicy turf because of the added weight factor of most diesels.

rotflol
Not sure I understand what you are trying to say.
As far as the diesel unit, the EFI and the diesel get about the same mileage
Old 04-08-2005, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This business is going to get worse before it gets better. There are more and more people losing their jobs every day. High oil prices, government deficits and creative accounting by big business is beginning to kill the economy.

Get ready for a rough ride over the next 2 or 3 years. It looks to me like a recession is just around the corner. The administration wants you to believe everything is just fine with the economy, but the middle class and senior citizens aren't convinced. Bush should try to convince the people that have already lost their jobs to China and India that everything is fine.

The first thing that people eliminate when times get rough is entertainment and services.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I guess I am fortunate. With the influx of Californian Retirees Our economy here has improved. I have never landed over 30 new accounts in march and this year I have. I can't keep my phone from ringing. I would say more than ever people here are so busy that they do not want to take time to keep up on their yard work. I am almost 2 months behind in spring cleanups and probably will have to hire someone for the spring to help catch me up. I have started to turn some work down for the simple fact that I don't have the time to do it properly. That and I want at least 1 day off a week to work out all the soar muscles.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ohio is in bad shape

remember the elections, how the media was talking about more jobs lost in ohio then any other state.... in another thread i mentioned more factory closing related to the auto industry...... and ohio citizens voted for bush hahahahahahhahhahahaahahahhahahhahahaahahahhahahahaahahahaah

when its all over and everyone is broke ill be polling the reactions to the performance of the new administration.... maybe other states are doing ok, and they love this administration,,, i see people loosing there jobs everyday... including me...
6 full time
Old 04-08-2005, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisF
This business is going to get worse before it gets better. There are more and more people losing their jobs every day. High oil prices, government deficits and creative accounting by big business is beginning to kill the economy.

Get ready for a rough ride over the next 2 or 3 years. It looks to me like a recession is just around the corner. The administration wants you to believe everything is just fine with the economy, but the middle class and senior citizens aren't convinced. Bush should try to convince the people that have already lost their jobs to China and India that everything is fine.

The first thing that people eliminate when times get rough is entertainment and services.

Simply put, your an idiot, and have no clue what your talking about. Yes, job cuts are a concern. People have always lost jobs to foreign markets, and somehow recover. Same thing here, if people want to live the "american dream" they are just goin to have to become more innovative to make their money.

People blame gas prices for part of the "declining" economy. There is so much oil under Alaska we wont have to depent on those OPEC clowns. The U.S. is still far beyond any other country. We decided to use their oil instead of ours, and when they are out, start to use our own. When the entire world is depending on oil from OPEC, and we have our own oil, and our economy is going to boom way beyond any other economy.

There is no recession right around the corner. The US GDP for the third quarter of 04 increased 4 percent, and rose 3.8% in the 4th. Those are not signs of a recession. (By the way, GDP is Gross Domestic Product, or, a measuring stick of how the economy is doing).

New comers are what you have to worry about, not a declining economy.

I knew my choice of ECON as a major would pay of eventually, who knew it would be an internet lawnsite.

Trevor
Old 04-08-2005, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Member

i love it when people talk about the booming economy. You have a degree and you are mowing lawns dude. hmmm....

Low overhead doesn't make me a scrub!
Old 04-08-2005, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Job losses

I know this won't make me too popular, but even our poor people are better off than most of the rest of the world. Maybe people would be less inclined to blow up our sh*t if we weren't determined to keep all of the jobs and all of the money over here. Every call center employee in India is one less potential suicide bomber, as I see it.

Don't get me wrong, I have great sympathy for those in our country who are struggling right now and I hope things turn around for them soon.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagefault
Maybe people would be less inclined to blow up our sh*t if we weren't determined to keep all of the jobs and all of the money over here. Every call center employee in India is one less potential suicide bomber, as I see it.
Um sure. Maybe.