Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2005, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Envy and Kelly must have grown up "yuppies" (and envy - bush does what he says????) What happened to "We will smoke them out of their holes?" Bin Laden is still alive and free... why? They are friends... yes (bush will tell you anything you want to hear, as long as he still makes money somehow. He only invaded Iraq- so he and Cheney (along with Haliburton) could rebuild and PROFIT of the war. That is what War Mongers do!
Old 04-16-2005, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Enough about politics because this could go on forever.. The economy may be booming in your area, because the area itself. However Michigan is not doing well due to the Auotmotive run economy, when auto sales and production are down and people get laid off, we contractors do not get much work - as related to when the big 3 are booming,
Old 04-16-2005, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

dvm is kinda like our knucklehead kid brother, we like him regardless of what we or anyone else says about dvm.

dvm-
We might not be mowing crown vetch on the sides of our highways like you and your PA-DOT crew do or subcontract for, ok? - but when our dixie can't handle the lawn because of steep grades or obstacles we price accordingly for more hours on the smaller equipment. A $170 per hour plumber or hvac company's rates are about the norm for plumber's labor, parts, and all company overhead + the clock starts when they leave the shop - unless they're scrubs. Thats what accounts for the quarterly or half hour actual bill you receive from them.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

economy or what ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevors Lawn Care
Simply put, your an idiot, and have no clue what your talking about. Yes, job cuts are a concern. People have always lost jobs to foreign markets, and somehow recover. Same thing here, if people want to live the "american dream" they are just goin to have to become more innovative to make their money.

People blame gas prices for part of the "declining" economy. There is so much oil under Alaska we wont have to depent on those OPEC clowns. The U.S. is still far beyond any other country. We decided to use their oil instead of ours, and when they are out, start to use our own. When the entire world is depending on oil from OPEC, and we have our own oil, and our economy is going to boom way beyond any other economy.

There is no recession right around the corner. The US GDP for the third quarter of 04 increased 4 percent, and rose 3.8% in the 4th. Those are not signs of a recession. (By the way, GDP is Gross Domestic Product, or, a measuring stick of how the economy is doing).

New comers are what you have to worry about, not a declining economy.

I knew my choice of ECON as a major would pay of eventually, who knew it would be an internet lawnsite.

Trevor

You have a degree, and you are calling someone else an idiot? You have a degree and you are in this business??? What a waste of time and money.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The dot.com bubble/burst had nothing to do with Clinton or Bush. Also tax cuts per se only have short term effect on investment in capital except when the getting the cut is dependent upon investment such as bonus depreciation and investment tax credit. Thank God the congress and the prez did one thing I'm proud of. They helped Paris Hilton preserve all of her inheritance.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvstringpicker
The dot.com bubble/burst had nothing to do with Clinton or Bush. Also tax cuts per se only have short term effect on investment in capital except when the getting the cut is dependent upon investment such as bonus depreciation and investment tax credit. Thank God the congress and the prez did one thing I'm proud of. They helped Paris Hilton preserve all of her inheritance.
I know they didn't have anything to do with it. But Clinton rode the wave of financial growth caused by it and Bush got blamed when the economy took a hit when it bust.

We all know Al Gore is the one responsible for the Dot.Com bubble. He invented the internet after-all

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper69
Envy and Kelly must have grown up "yuppies"
"yuppies"???

I don't know about Kelly, but let me tell you something....
I'm gonna share a little story here on lawnsite that I've never said anything about before.

Just so you know scraper69, I sure as heck didn't grow up that way. In fact, you and I are the same age and I'm willing to bet you don't know a soul who grew up as poor as I did. Although we are the same age, I'd also bet that I would have more in common with your grandparents or great grandparents when it comes to childhood stories than you.

I can remember back to when I was 3. In fact I remember my 4th birthday like it was yesterday. That's no accident either. I had it rough, poor beyond your imagination. I remember the days of Jimmy Carter well. Dad did the best he could, but in the end, we lost EVERYTHING, and that wasn't saying much. But now we were homeless.

I remember picking up cans and helping dad by putting a little sand in each one before he crushed it, so it would weigh more. This was our only source of any money at all because you couldn't buy a job at the time, and to beat all, now we didn't have an address to put on the application or a phone number to call. Somehow, we survived the winter without shelter. Dry nights, when it was windy and cold we went into hollows where we could get a break from the wind, build a small fire and bed down in a deep blanket of leaves.

In the new year dad got his W-2. By spring we managed to get enough money together to get a PO Box and pay someone to do the taxes. Finally those checks came in the mail. Dad bought a rattletrap car to seek work and one of those ice cream stand trailers, too run down to use. Thank go he got a job. We remodeled it into a home. Your landscape trailer is probably bigger.

I was 8 years old before I even qualified as "dirt poor".... Things got better in the Reagan years. We had dirt to call our own. We bought an old farmhouse that was beyond condemned by today's standards. The bank never considered it. They loaned the money on the land. It had electric still hooked up. One light and one wall socket per room, but none of it worked past the fuse box. There was no running water, plus holes through the floor and walls 2' wide. But we had a place to put the camper up on blocks and go to work.

So we did.... and I started my lawn business that year to help out with money. Yes, I was 8 years old. I pulled a rusty 21 down the gravel road in one hand, hand scythe tied to it in a burlap sack, and a sling over the shoulder in the other hand. And so it began....

I cut lawns, worked as a farm hand, did anything I could, and was dad's extra set of hands around home. We worked on the house, clearing land, and tended our little farm. Dad worked every hour at the factory they'd let him. He and I cut and sold firewood in the fall, and I worked on a timber crew in the winter.

Thank god for a cheap to shoot .22 and a shotgun. They put meat on the table many a night. There was no tractor, we plowed with horses and worked it by hand. If we didn't raise it or kill it, we didn't eat it. We went hungry. A trip to the grocery store was for flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, shortening, ect. Once in a while, for a treat, dad got coffee and I got cereal and sweet milk to go in it (pasteurized store bought milk).

I'll never forget the first night in that old house, or the day we hooked running water to the kitchen sink, gravity fed from a spring. No more carrying water for everything. But we still heated water for baths in a cowboy tub or took showers in the camper. I used an outhouse until I was in middle school. We heated with wood, cooked by wood cook-stove or one hotplate eye in the camper. We used oil lamps for lights for a long time before all the electric was fixed.

I also remember the day we carried in that used puke green antique refrigerator.... and the old black and white TV that picked up one channel sometimes. Life was good.... I never learned what the hell a "yuppie" was until I spent the night with a buddy from school. Lights, indoor plumbing, electric stove, heat and air, color TV in every room in the house, closet full of clothes, chest full of toys, ect....

I bought a car and a work truck by 15... and first thing I did when I turned 16 was get my drivers license and working papers. School boy by day, lawn/landscape/construction boy by evening and stock boy by nights. Those were the Bush Sr years. 12 good years in all, and several more would follow.

Dad and I have both came a long way since then. We did what we had too. Nobody ever handed us a d@mn thing along the way either. But the economy sure turned around and opened the door of opportunity. I worked my way up the hard way and it wasn't easy. So I know a little about politics, about life, about working hard, about being poor, about economics and I learned it all from formal school and the school of hard knocks! I graduated both with honors.

It's not every day you get to talk to a 30 year old guy with 22 years experience in this or any business.... And the last time I checked, that doesn't qualify as a "yuppie" childhood.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 04-17-2005, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercare
Tax breaks are given to people (corporations) so that they'll have more money to invest. This means more investment in equipment, and personnell (that means jobs). Of course, the government can't tell corporations what to do with their new tax breaks, otherwise the gov't would be controlling how businesses operate.

I agree with alot of what you said, but I don't agree with this. Big corps are only interested in their bottom line. If they can decrease expenses at the cost of U.S. jobs, they will. If that means laying of 1000's, they will. The negative media... it blows over and they march along as usual. For this example the government should not just give a tax break they should instead give a refund that can be used only to subsidize hiring American workers.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You got me beat there Envy my father died when I was 6 mother had no job no money and more bills then she could count. She use to tailor for other people in fact she made most of my clothes growing up. Our house is filled with antiques but they were all found in tag sales or on the side of the road and my mother restored them. She got to fight with my fathers side of the family till I was old enough to scare them off they always felt she had it made called my mother all sorts of things and said she did not know how to manage her money and that was the problem.

On that sour note she decided to seek help and got a financial planer to see what she was doing wrong. After looking over the little income and the monthly bills he looked up at her and said no your not crazy and you are not doing anything wrong in fact if I were in your shoes I would kill myself. Somehow my mother managed to never lose the house and while I can not talk about hunting for my meals I can remember weeks where the only thing we ate was cheerios let me tell you I have never eaten cereal or breakfast in the last 25 years thatís how much I learned to hate it. Most of our food was grown by my grand parents or we would pick it our selves. Our house was in a swamp and the lawn would take 2 days to cut back then with a 21 inch mower.

What that did was make me 10 times the man most people are. Failure is not even an option I succeed no matter what as for Scrapers comments about why I may be doing as well as I am. Lets just say he picked the wrong person to accuse of getting lucky or being a lowballer. I have learned to really hate Dems over the years and the main reason is if you do make it then rather then giving you credit for it and celebrating your success they say you were given it or you just got lucky and therefore you should pay higher taxes since its not fair you have what you have. I differ from this I feel you earn what you have and if you do not wish to take lifeís risks or work as hard thatís fine but do not go complaining that some one has more then you later. As for my area it is indeed awesome and to think I have it all to myself aside from the 248 other landscapers in the yellow pages with me and the 100-200 landscapers that do not have ads there its all mine.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I get a kick out of guys that complain about the rich and their tax cuts. Usually the guys complaining are not paying much, if any taxes because they don't earn enough. So why does it bother these guys that someone who pays a lot more in taxes each year gets a little bit more of a break. They are still paying more.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.