Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2005, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

overseed sandy soil

A custoemer of mine has sandy soil and some areas that are bare with clay type soil. can i just over seed over that soil or should i add topsoil or something else? I want to make sure i do a good job.
2000 2500 4x4 dodge ram, 7x16 ft big tex trailer, 60 in Exmark Z, 48 inch bobcat z rider, 48 inch snapper walkbehind,21 inch lawn boy, 21 inch toro, 200 gallon lesco sprayer, ryan aerator, blue bird dethatcher, 2 echo trimmers and blowers
Old 04-09-2005, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seed to soil contact and moisture is what grows seed. Throwing seed on top of anything is called bird food.
Sandy soil and clay soil seems to be quite unique. My experience has been that those two are at different ends of the spectrum. We have heavy clay soil where i am at and I will tell you that if you want to grow grass fom seed you need to break the clay up and then cap it with a few inches of topsoil or pulverized black dirt. In the sandy area you will need to cap it also as sand has little water holding capacity. So go out and get yourself a yard of dirt a shovel and wheel barrow and cap the bad areas and seed it. Keep it wet and whatever you do, do not guarantee anything. Good Luck.