Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-10-2005, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Member

My new web site is up

even though im just starting out, ive realise advertisement is the key to getting started. Word of mouth and visibility follow suit. Ive tried the fliers, the news papers, and the local for sale / advertisements and found the key to these types of media is timing. Im getting listed inthe local yellow pages this upcoming month so I figure that will provide 24 hour a day year round advertisement. The next thing was to come up with a web site. Two reasons, mainly. Once again, 24hr advertisement, but the main benefit is more often then not, web site addresses are easier to remember than phone numbers. This way I can include the web address on my signs and when im out and about im hoping people will pick up on it.

Check out my site and tell me what you think. I designed and built it myself, so Im sure theirs errors, and typos. Some of the links arent are finished yet but the basic meat of the site is up atleast.

YOu can check it HERE
Old 04-10-2005, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

NICE real professional
Old 04-10-2005, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The intro is a little on the wild side, and theres an ad for free flash templates. The rest of the site is great.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like the intro and the site is well done. Good Luck!
Old 04-10-2005, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Your "news" box overlaps the "welcome" box, to the point where you can't see some words.

Plus, in your "perfect lawn" box... it's "C"rabgrass, not "G"rabgrass.

Not trying to be a dink... just trying to help you look better.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Okay the rest of these guys can lie to to you all they want but I am going to help you out by telling you the truth. I would shut it down until you get some things corrected and I mean fast.
1) The intro turns me off from the get go. The little moving pop ups move to quickly and you have used different font styles which make it hard to make out the words before they are gone.
2) You have one little section on the right hand side that rotates through about three phrases. For me the longest paragraph has changed before I can get it all read.
3) As stated by Coastal, if you have time to do it over you had time to do it right. I know you mentioned that there were typo's but why have mistakes? It makes me question your level of experience. In one area you have spelled the word "Grabgrass", kinda makes you afraid to go out in the yard.
4) It appears that the name of your company is Perficut, but in one area you mention the following - (At Lawncrafters we sharpen our blades daily) so my question is what is your real business name or did you just copy all of this stuff?

I appreciate your effort and I do believe you are on your way to having a great site, but please address the issues first.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

After going through the site again, I'm with Bull.

PERSONALLY, I'd take the site down.

There are WAY too many spelling errors, plus as Bull said, the paragraphs in the "news" box roll through too quickly, you can't even read them.

Now I understand that spelling errors are commonplace nowdays, but you don't want to be commonplace, you want to stand out from the rest.

You've got a very good start on a site, just put the finishing touches on it now.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull
Okay the rest of these guys can lie to to you all they want but I am going to help you out by telling you the truth. I would shut it down until you get some things corrected and I mean fast.
1) The intro turns me off from the get go. The little moving pop ups move to quickly and you have used different font styles which make it hard to make out the words before they are gone.
2) You have one little section on the right hand side that rotates through about three phrases. For me the longest paragraph has changed before I can get it all read.
3) As stated by Coastal, if you have time to do it over you had time to do it right. I know you mentioned that there were typo's but why have mistakes? It makes me question your level of experience. In one area you have spelled the word "Grabgrass", kinda makes you afraid to go out in the yard.
4) It appears that the name of your company is Perficut, but in one area you mention the following - (At Lawncrafters we sharpen our blades daily) so my question is what is your real business name or did you just copy all of this stuff?

I appreciate your effort and I do believe you are on your way to having a great site, but please address the issues first.

Yeah, same opinion here... Flash intro made me want to leave right off the bat.

I personally used to use alot of flash just because it made me feel good to know that i could code it. I know now that it really is not the way to go.

-I would tone that site wayyyyyy down. simplify,
-Make it cross browser/platform compatible.
-Stick with only a few colors and keep it consistent, you have some really conflicting color schemes going on.
-If you are going to use rollovers, use them on every nav bar. Some of them do not work

I will stop now.

-Reuben
Old 04-10-2005, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the critique, and I will work on things tomorrow when I get a chance. I appreciate the honesty.

Im not a computer geek, and dont anything other then the basics on coding and html. I used Dreamweaver, a web designing software which is prety much trial and error on my part. I didnt realise their was a conflict with the different browsers until I posted the site and things were missaligned. Now im not sure how to fix it. Ill have to play around with it a bit.

I think I will get rid of the flash, I thought it was kinda kewl at first but its a bit too busy. The typos are prety much that. After hours and hours of sitting in fornt of this box trying and retrying my fingers get a little crazy.

Thanks again for the input and Ill try to work out the bugs the best I can.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would loose the intro. Mowing link brings up mowing as well as other stuff. I would shorten the entries to the necessary info. Keep them uneducated about how to do it themselves (don't teach them to fish) if you know what I mean. The site itself looks very well done! I would just consolidate it.