Old 04-10-2005, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hell, I would have played barefoot.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Shoud have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody82986
When my grandfather was down in Augusta for business once with the Army CID corps, a friend of his gained access to take himself and my grandfather to play golf at Augusta National. They got there and since my grandfather hadnt expected to be playing golf on the trip didnt bring his bag or shoes. So he rented some clubs, got to the changing room and field house to rent some shoes and they didn't have any golf shoes big enough to fit is feet.... so he missed his one and only chance to play at Augusta... such a heartbreaking story.

He should have played bare footed
Old 04-11-2005, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Member

not as hard as a home owners lawn????? really? i think you're crazy, i took some maint courses when i was in school at MU, and found that the constant attention to soil conditions, disease conditions, irrigation rates, airflow through tree canopies, irrigation system maintenence (that's a little more pressure than any homeowners), teebox damage, let alone the whole other world of greens maintenance was "kinda" complex. i think a real greenskeeper would laugh out loud at your statement. now i know not every municipal course is kept up to the standards of Augusta National, but come on....there's a reason no reputable club will have anyone without at least a 4 year degree..

oh god i can hear it now, i'm some sort of educational biggot. no, on the contrary, i believe college education matters less than work ethic, but there is no substitute for knoledge, and i would say that 99.9% of lawncare companys don't have the knoledge to run a course.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I did some ballfield maintenece in Florida on some bermuda grass fields....it was a headache and it was only a YMCA....

At Augusta they can through big $$$$$ at it and as we all know if you throw enough money at a problem it will go away....: )

I'm sure all the rain has kept them jumping with the Fungi....and diseases....It woudl not suprisse if them dont keep people off the course for 2-3 weeks prior to the masters...

I did a search on Ebay. a four day 4 pack masters tix with Hospitality tent sold for 12000.00...too rich for my blood....I'll watch in TV
Old 04-11-2005, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith
I did some ballfield maintenece in Florida on some bermuda grass fields....it was a headache and it was only a YMCA....

At Augusta they can through big $$$$$ at it and as we all know if you throw enough money at a problem it will go away....: )

I'm sure all the rain has kept them jumping with the Fungi....and diseases....It woudl not suprisse if them dont keep people off the course for 2-3 weeks prior to the masters...

I did a search on Ebay. a four day 4 pack masters tix with Hospitality tent sold for 12000.00...too rich for my blood....I'll watch in TV

The week before the caddies usually fly in and play whatever course the players are competing on the following week.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Have you guys heard of Lesco Green?? They paint half the course the night or morning of tee off.

No lie.......
Old 04-11-2005, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not bad work for a caddie. play golf I imagien while they are playing they get out the play book and mark yardages or at the very least double check the yardages form previous books....for the following week....I wonder if they just pace it off or use GPS....
Old 04-11-2005, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

we used paint on turf when I worked at disney.....whenevr they had a tv aperance to schedule.....

Paint at the masters would not suprise me......Heck withthe 3-400 gallon spary rigs with big booms. makes a bit easy I'm sure...
Old 04-11-2005, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

So Grandpa's feet were too big to play at the Master's... it just means the lord blessed him in another way........
Old 04-11-2005, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

augusta is strickly rye grass, I use to have an article of how much rye grass is used as well as the unlimited labor. they have some thing like 14 fairway mowers. each green is walked mowed like 4 times each day. any course can look this good with an unlimited budget. its amazing the stuff that goes on for this tourney to make it look this good and people just think their yard will look this way. as for the painting i dont think that is true. the tour does do some painting when conditions call but this is prime rye grass time and should.